Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-writing

Hey guys, I was wondering what insights, pros/cons you have on co-writing a script. I am co-writing with a friend on a script about a man who has gained the ability to defecate golden eggs and is now the richest man in the world. The problem is we seem to be going different directions and I fear the story will be torn apart. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Re: Co-writing

Won't comment on the story, but as for co-writing, I've done it 3 times and found it to be less than pleasant each time. We just weren't on the same page. If one partner thinks you're writing a dark indie comedy and you think you're writing a broad studio comedy, it's never going to be what either of you thinks it's going to be, or wants it to be.

Even if you have different tastes and sensibilities, you both have to come to a meeting of the minds on the script or it'll end up like a traumatized child suffering through a bad marriage. Write down your logline, state what your theme is (what it's really about), and see if you two can at least agree on those basic things.

Good Luck,

D.

Comment

Is this just for kicks or are you serious?

You threw the idea out there for a reason. Either for a goof, or you seriously want feedback on it. Because why bother mentioning the concept of the script if you truly just wanna know about what happens when two co-writers don't agree on a story path?

I've co-written before and you both must be willing to fight for what you believe in, and bend when the other feels stronger. That's what any partnership is about. It's worked out for me and my partner and I plan to write another together.

Now, back to your story. What the heck are you talking about?

A man who craps golden eggs and gets rich is NOT a story. Heck, it's not even a punchline to a joke. Where's the story?

s

Comment

Originally posted by santino2699 View Post

A man who craps golden eggs and gets rich is NOT a story. Heck, it's not even a punchline to a joke. Where's the story?

s
        There was a successful TV series in Asia about a goat that craps golden turds. I'm serious. The only thing worse than the concept was the writing. The only worse than the writing was the acting. Go figure.

As Asia's equivalent to William Goldman says, "No one know any one."

A billion Chinese can't be wrong. Except in this case it was 85 million Filipinos.

Comment

Working...
        X