New ( sorta )Animation-type screenwriter here...hello!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ( sorta )Animation-type screenwriter here...hello!

I don't know if you guys do introductions, but I'm an animation artist/writer who's just discovered this board. I've worked for Dreamworks, Cartoon Network, Sony Pictures, and more places than i feel like naming here. Though I am primarily an artist, i also have a few television writing credits ( just cartoons, but hey, there they are. ) Found this site...thought I'd join up;, as I've recently begun pursuing the sale of numerous feature scripts I've written ( animation AND live action ) I mostly write popcorn movies...I'm not really an "artistic only" person.

Since I'm here, i might as well throw up some visual development artwork ( characters and such ) I've done for an animated werewolf film I wrote titled "Camp Lycanthrope" You can tell it was done originally for 2D animation, but if it ever sells I'm guessing a studio would wanna make it in 3D. Which is fine, I suppose. Have a gander...Oh, and some alien designs for another screenplay I'm working on called "ORPHAN"

Here's the werewolf crap...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...ithtextfox.jpg
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...ackinFinal.jpg
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...bigchest-1.jpg
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...ux/clboard.jpg
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...ugForPitch.jpg
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...inalBiteMe.jpg
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...uncanFinal.jpg

Here's the alien stuff. Yeee!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...phanPoster.jpg
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...ux/yibfox2.jpg
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...ux/YIBFOX1.jpg
    Last edited by beerbeastredux; 08-09-2007, 05:20 PM.

Re: New ( sorta )Animation-type screenwriter here...hello!

Thanks crusty ^-^ I just hope some Hollywood exec reads this and thinks the same thing lol. What the heck. Might as well throw up a sample of the actual werewolf script. In the scene our werewolf protagonist is about to undergo his first transformation ( a staple of any GOOD werewolf movie )

EXT. CITY PARK - NIGHT

Pablo comes running out of the darkness. Winded, he slows to a walk. Stops. Looks over his shoulder. There doesn't seem to be anyone following him.

After a sigh of relief, Pablo looks at his hand. It's still bleeding. He looks up, grimacing, and notices a PUBLIC RESTROOM nearby. Looking resolved, he jogs towards it.

INT. RESTROOM - NIGHT

Pablo bursts through the door and quickly shuts it behind him. After pausing to catch his breath, he goes to a sink and hastily washes his injured hand. Once finished, he holds up his hand and examines the wound. It's not pretty.

PABLO
    Jeez.

As we linger on Pablo, his head tilts to one side, and his expression darkens. He leans in close and squints at his hand.

The wound on Pablo's hand is slowly healing.

Pablo stares. Speechless. He can't believe what he's seeing. As if in time lapse, the wound gradually solidifies and amalgamates into Pablo's hand. Leaving no trace.

Pablo seems stunned into silence. We hold on his face for a tick. Suddenly, a patch of LIGHT BROWN FUR sprouts from the top of his hand!

PABLO
    Yahhh!

Pablo bolts away from the sink, holding his hand at arm's length. He frantically wiggles his arm, as if trying to shake the fur loose, but it continues to grow and spread up his arm.

PABLO
    Oh God. Oh God!

He recoils as the fur spreads up to his shoulder and disappears under his shirt sleeve! A half-second later, there's a horrible cracking sound. Pablo drops to his knees, groaning in agony.

PABLO
    Help...

We watch as Pablo transforms into a large, feral looking WEREWOLF. The transformation is graphic, drawn out, and excruciatingly painful.

A transformed Pablo lurches up into frame, giving us a full view. Human posture aside, he looks almost identical to a real wolf. He's several feet taller, with broad shoulders and an intricately patterned mane. None of that "Teen Wolf- crap.

PABLO
    ...Wh...what happened...

Pablo's gaze shifts from the floor to the bathroom mirror. Upon seeing himself, he utters a mortified squeak. He gawks at his paws. Bares his fangs to the mirror. All the while, he wobbles and bobs on his dog-like hind legs.

PABLO
    This can't be happening. Can't be. S' not possible...

A large bushy TAIL rises up behind Pablo. He senses it moving and spins around in alarm, but the tail promptly curls out of sight from the force of his turn.

PABLO
    Who's there?

As Pablo frets, the tail appears behind him again. Pablo spins around in circles, but can't quite seem to catch sight of it. After much frustration, he cunningly reverses direction and snatches the tail as it comes swinging around.

PABLO
    Ohhhh...crap.

Pablo gives the tail a gentle tug. Is this thing really attached to him?

PABLO
    (surprised)
    Ow.
    (yanks harder)
    OW!

Stunned, Pablo lets go of his tail. It swings into place behind him and gently swishes back and forth. Pablo's eye gives a small twitch. Then he screams out in terror.

Pablo crams himself into a corner and begins to hyperventilate. After a beat, he holds up his paw-like hands for another look.

PABLO
    It's just a dream. It isn't real. It's just a dream-

A sudden, offscreen voice causes Pablo to leap to his feet.

VOICE
    I think it came from over here.

VOICE # 2
    You check the bathroom.

Someone's coming! Pablo looks around for a place to hide. Sees the row of toilet stalls. Ducks inside the closest one and shuts the door just as a POLICE OFFICER cautiously enters the restroom, gun drawn. He quickly scans the room.

In the stall, Pablo spies a small window set high in the wall. He quietly climbs up onto the toilet and tries to force it open, but his stubby fingers can't seem to grip the latch. As he works his tail, which is propped on the toilet seat, slips into the bowl. Plop!

Alerted, the cop whirls around. He slowly approaches the toilet stalls.

COP
    Police. Who's in there? You better answer me.

Disgusted, Pablo pulls his dripping tail out of the toilet. Suddenly he grimaces. Then he begins to shrink. He's returning to human form!

Outside, the cop uneasily reacts to the sound of Pablo's transformation.

COP
    What's going on in there? Hey! I'm giving you till the count of three to come out of there! One, two, three!

The cop kicks the stall door open. A now human Pablo sprawls dizzily on the toilet. Looking as if he's just taken the dump of a lifetime. The cop smirks and holsters his weapon.

COP
    Ever hear of fiber kid?

Comment

Lol. Yeah, yeah I know, I've gone through all the channels before. it is a finished product...Matter of fact, this script is in the EXPO screeplay competition, which I've never done before. It'll be interesting to see how i stack up against other screenwriters. Pitching is a ( necessary ) pain in the ass. It's funny...when you're an artist and you can SHOW a producer what kind of a movie you want to make...you'd think they'd "get it" right away. But you'd be surprised how many producers ask me "Is this a children's film?" "Why is there blood in something that looks so bright and colorful?" "I don't get it" *giggle* Ah....Hollywood...

Comment

There are basically three "youth" markets: children, tweens, and teens.

Blood, open wounds, cops, public toilets....

Yours is geared towards tweens.

Comment

What about a general audience... My character isn't a kid after all. he's 22 years old. I kinda see it like RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. Scary stuff and adventure. Also, I got sick of the Hollywood trend where only children get to experience cool other-worldly stuff. Why not a grownup for a change?

And no, not a literal camp, but to live with a pack in the mountains of Colorado.

Comment

oh well, you didn't mention his age, I thought he might be around fourteen, a bit like Goosebumps, tween audience, you could do worse.

Comment

Very nice. Love the Orphan designs.

These done by hand?
              One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

Matt, one of my colleagues is regional EP for Nelvana and Corus Entertainment. If you'd like an intro or want to pitch something PM me.
                David
                "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

David K, that's really generous of you to offer your services via your associates. But as far as I know, Corus and Nelvana only do television work, and my projects are feature films. ( Unless there's some film division I don't know about. )

Another thing, I'm American, and these are Canadian companies. Nothing wrong with that, except the whole "Canadian content" laws which require something like 90% canadian workforce. I know this because a friend of mine has a current animation pilot over at Nickelodeon, which they bought under a deal that would have it produced in Canada ( again, nothing wrong with Canada ) But they were never told that under that contract, they could hire no more than three American people to work on the show.

I'm just not certain it would work out, knowing what I know, but if you've some info I don't have, please let me know. And again, thank you for the offer.

Comment

You're correct - Corus are not doing features yet and I'm not aware they have any plans to do so. Also mostly correct about the Canadian content but it varies from project to project; they do have major animation projects underway with production taking place in three territories. Usually these are facilitated by a co-production treaty between the different territories. Also depends on how the finance is packaged, for example say 40 percent of the finance is from a South Korean company (where, for example, The Simpsons is made) then South Korea would be entitled to have 40 per cent of the work done there.

Feature animations are hard to set up but it is possible. I have another friend (no formal relationship but I connected her with a Hollywood veteran who is EPing for them) producing a feature animation based out of New Zealand. I need to check this but I think the Weinsteins or someone similar have a stake in it. (If you want to PM me your email address I'll drop you a note - give me a couple of weeks though, I fly to Europe on Sunday for meetings etc. and return late August.)

David
                    Last edited by DavidK; 08-09-2007, 10:18 PM. Reason: clunky typos

Comment

To answer two questions...First, OZFADE

yes, these ORPHAN designs were drawn by hand and colored in Photoshop. I do most of my art that way, though to be honest, I do a lot more WRITING than drawing these days. My reason for that is because executives really don't get impressed by visual development artwork, as they used to when 2D was the only animation style. I even went so far as to learn MAYA ( 3D software ) but it's SUCH a pain in the ass I simply feel it's a waste of writing time. Story is far more important.

To CRUSTYGIBBLET,

Yes, I have a logline for Camp Lycanthrope: In a nutshell...

A down-on-his-luck man saves an old man ( werewolf ) from a beating at the hands of a secret society of werewolf hunters. He is bitten as a "reward", and becomes a werewolf himself. Unable to deal with his new power, he is sent to live with a pack of wilderness-dwelling werewolves who try and teach him how to adjust and control his new power. In the end, he must use what he has learned to save the pack from the hunters clutches, and their plan to exterminate all lycanthropes worldwide.

Comment

Umm, this is spooky. I just mentioned your thing to someone and the quick response was 'Lycanthrope' isn't such a good word to have in a title and watch Dumbo. I don't know what that means, maybe there's a theme or something in Dumbo which is a useful reference...

Check this out -
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz85NrYiTME

(looks amateurish but who knows...)

david

Comment

No offense to the people who made that, after all I am a great admirer of EFFORT. But that looks like someone's home movie, not a quality feature film. Personally, I think "Camp Lycanthrope" is a really cool title.

One more thing to CrustyG, I don't have a hook for CL, except that no one has ever done a werewolf film where the characters were the heroes. ( maybe that IS the hook *giggle* )Except Teen Wolf, and that film is...well...retarded. I just couldn't buy the main character's motivations at all.

When I wrote Cl, I tried very hard to do things that had never been done in a werewolf movie. Since it was originally designed for animation, many scenes revolve around the whole transformation angle, something you can really take advantage of in the medium. In this film, characters do it all the time. ( You'd be surprised how many films actually AVOID showing a decent transformation. Or they make you wait 70 minutes just for some cheap edit-job filmed in "extra-dark" or worse, their werewolves look like bats, or bugs, or anything but a WOLF. Duh... ) If it's a subplot you're getting at, there is a whole angle that deals with the main character's ailing grandmother, and his fear of being alone in the world. The whole "family theme" is woven into the story, but it never hits you over the head with it. "Disfunctional family" is more like it, but family nontheless.
                          Last edited by beerbeastredux; 08-09-2007, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Hey OzFade. You're Australian right? Maybe you'll get a kick out of an idea I was kicking around for a sequel. A Were-Kangaroo! *falls over laughing* take a look!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...thglassesa.jpg

Comment

Beerbeast - have emailed you.
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X