No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Character nicknames?

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
    Please don't apologise - I'm in a permanent state of confusion anyway. In fact I was once committed to an asylum for the criminally bewildered.
    That's too bad. Glad nothing like that has ever happend to me... if I ever wanted to own guns or work on a action film that used guns I'm sure there would be insurence problems.

Kubrick was unique - I don't think anyone will ever again work like he did. When he wanted to make a film, he told Warners what it was and they set up the finance. Period. He answered to no-one. Sometimes he would let them read the script but the Warner execs had to fly to Stanley's place to read it. Then they left him alone until he delivered the film - nobody else had any say in the matter, not even the head of Warners got to see a first cut or fine cut or anything. I think it's great that Hollywood went to Stanley, Stanley never went to Hollywood. That's filmmaking.
    Well you can see why that was a problem. I heard he didn't travel too, some sort of phobia.

Sydney Pollack tells a very funny story about Kubrick's last movie Eyes Wide Shut. They were shooting a scene where Pollack walked into the billiard room... Eventually Pollack runs out of patience and goes up to Kubrick and says "Stanley, for heavens sake, we've got about thirty takes." Kubrick, typically cool as a cucumber, just looks over his glasses at Pollack and says "Sure, but don't you want to get it right?"
    That's a huge problem. That's incredibly expensive and a waste of time.

The movie was horrible cast, too long, bad script, and never had a reveal. He should have added to the book or... never made the film.

Personally I would have recommended that he produce, like spielberg, towards the end of his career. Cause, I think he had way too many projects going on at once and I think he wasn't the right director for Eyes Wide Shut. I would've recommeded him to hand it over to Lynch or Cronenberg.

It was kinda his downfall. I Kinda wonder if Zodiac will be Fincher's eyes wide shut. guess we'll see how his next one does: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421715/
    But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

Re: Character nicknames?

Thanks for the replies...

The last thing I want to do is confuse the reader. The script is going out today.
      ~Well behaved women seldom make history~

~My first pitch~ I felt like I had a mouth full of marbles and every synapse in my brain was firing at once - Dreadful.~

Comment

Working...
      X