Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hero Hybrid Structure Outline

Sometimes a hero may subscribe to the story and get things moving, but not quite believe fully what is going on. This type of element is used of course for outlandish things (UFO's/supernatural/etc) that the character will later believe in down the line in the script...

EJ

Comment

EJ, do you use your method in every script?
      "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

If it's hero based then yes. Most of the time the framework holds up with other stories as well IMO.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
          If it's hero based then yes. Most of the time the framework holds up with other stories as well IMO.

EJ
          I think about 50% matches my script. I don't use structure methods - I'm aware of them in my head - but I'll use this one and see where it takes me.
          "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
            That said, sometimes the hero doesn't refuse and is willing and happy to accept the challenge. Revenge movies or movies with very strong motives to get the "story going" will often have the refusal element removed.
            Yeah, I don't recall McClane refusing in Die Hard. Didn't he just see the situation and jump right into action--even forgetting his shoes? Now there's a hero for you.

Comment

Originally posted by OtisLovesUs View Post
              Yeah, I don't recall McClane refusing in Die Hard. Didn't he just see the situation and jump right into action--even forgetting his shoes? Now there's a hero for you.
              Actually, he is about to jump into action -- then sees how many baddies there are.

He then spends a few scenes fleeing and/or being scared of the bad guys. Or at least hiding from them. I think that's what set this "hero" apart from guys like Stallone / Arnold at the time. He wasn't a killing machine. He had fears and nervousness just like real folk.

Comment

Originally posted by Scripted77 View Post
                Actually, he is about to jump into action -- then sees how many baddies there are.

He then spends a few scenes fleeing and/or being scared of the bad guys. Or at least hiding from them. I think that's what set this "hero" apart from guys like Stallone / Arnold at the time. He wasn't a killing machine. He had fears and nervousness just like real folk.
                I think what John did was probably DEBATED what was going on. In other words, he was weighing up the sitch bascially. That's a sort of refusal in a sense, with him finally committing to the action is him bascially climbing out his shell and dealing with what's going on.

EJ

Comment

I am using this Hero Hybrid Structure Outline to help me organize my current project. So far, its really streamlining the process for me in great ways. Getting it down in the smaller bits like this enables me to write clearer, keeps my thoughts organized, and I don't feel like I have to keep "the whole story" in my head.

Normally, I have a gazillion notes written here, there, and everywhere. This outline has been a gift.

Thanks

Comment

McClane refused to save Holly by pulling the fire alarm so someone else could come and save her. When that didn't work, he had to do things himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                      McClane refused to save Holly by pulling the fire alarm so someone else could come and save her. When that didn't work, he had to do things himself.
                      Hmm...that's interesting.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
                      - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

Added to the original list the TIME CLOCK or TICKING CLOCK method, plus also fleshed out a little more the B-Plot.

EJ

Comment

The best practical aplication/demonstration of this structure is the film:
                          TEAM AMERICA.

It's a scream - I highly recommend it
                          I'd even say every screenwriter should watch it at least once a week - if only to relieve some stress.
                          The face-changing scene - and the post mid-point love scene LOL
                          Beware - the south park team were involved...

But has anybody read the other structure method by Donna Anderson? called "The 1-3-5 Story Method".

It describes a structure that fits a fair few movies, but doesn't quite fit in with Vogler's/Snyders. Apparently she used to be a Hollywood reader, and her structure is the one she used to pass/reject scripts.

She also mentions a database not only of scripts but of writers also, and that if a writer's script gets a reject it's also possible for the writer of it to get a reject too, which reflects badly on their submission of future scripts.
                          Is she scare-mongering?

(I'd post a quick outline, but not sure if I'd be breaching copyright).

Here's the link http://www.movieinabox.com/135/135_book.htm

Thing is - how many other readers are singing from their own personal hymn sheets?
                          Last edited by zarker99; 11-24-2008, 06:03 AM.
                          "Now we're getting someplace".
                          Oliver Hardy, 'The Music Box'.

Comment

Originally posted by zarker99 View Post
                            She also mentions a database not only of scripts but of writers also, and that if a writer's script gets a reject it's also possible for the writer of it to get a reject too, which reflects badly on their submission of future scripts. Is she scare-mongering?
                            Who knows, but she provides a good example of why you often need to hit quite a few readers before even a good script gets a 'consider'.
                            "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Very late to finding this thread... I found the debate over "refusal of the call" (to adventure, the inciting incident, etc.) very interesting.

To me it all comes down to CONFLICT. As we all know you must have conflict. Conflict is story. So when something major happens to our hero like the inciting incident... if they just accept it right off the bat IMO it is a missed opportunity for conflict. Even if it's just a few lines of dialogue before they give in it's a wonderful opportunity to show conflict, not to mention character. WHY doesn't your hero accept the call? The reason is a chance to show character as well as hit on your story's theme.

So while you don't HAVE to have your hero refuse the call -- especially for already established hero's like a James Bond -- it's almost always better for the story if you do. All IMO of course :-)

Steve

Comment

Love this thread! Just what I need.

For me, right now, the hard part is
                                just coming up with a concept/premise
                                with a strong hook. I think I have it, then those
                                plot holes appear to tear it apart.

But once I figure all that out
                                I'm definitely trying the method EJ proposed.

My only concern is getting bogged down with
                                all the rules of when things are to happen. To
                                me, it's like the pro-golfer who is aware of all
                                the mechanics needed to make a perfect swing
                                but when it comes time to actually hit the ball
                                he/she clears the mind and just let it rip.

Not sure if that analogy makes any sense or not
                                but what I mean is creative energy should be allowed
                                to flow within the framework of course, of a pliable structure.
                                The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense - Tom Clancy

Comment

Working...
                                X