Do you tell people what you are working on?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you tell people what you are working on?

I tell my one co-worker who has good writing skills and the most average TV watching skills. He can predict what new shows do well with amazing regularity, so...

He's also my primary reader.

Others? I only speak of my ideas in the most general of terms.*

*See killing reference in previous post.
    I'm always right.

Comment

Reps only count as people when they're making the "good" calls to you.

Sorry T - if your cruisin - nuttin but love

Comment

When a writer says they have a REP, does that mean they have someone that is "their" person, and also stands to profit from your success.

Don't REPs have contracts with "their" writers, perhaps many many writers?

I spoke to an AGENT , who then put me thru to the REP. I had no clue WHO had the most influence with the actor. If I got thru to the REP, and they invited me to send a treatment, is that like over the first hurdle?
        tks
        Butch

Comment

Originally posted by GoldStarWriter View Post
          Nope I keep mine a secret till it gets done.
          I usually say - "Think Batman and Charlie & the chocolate factory!"
          I dont keep mine a secret, but usually I sum up my recent one with "It's Wolverine crossed with American Beauty."

"The two things that run Hollywood are fear and greed." - Syd Field

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Jarvinen View Post
            When a writer says they have a REP, does that mean they have someone that is "their" person, and also stands to profit from your success.

Don't REPs have contracts with "their" writers, perhaps many many writers?

I spoke to an AGENT , who then put me thru to the REP. I had no clue WHO had the most influence with the actor. If I got thru to the REP, and they invited me to send a treatment, is that like over the first hurdle?
            tks
            Butch
            For the most part, a REP could mean a manager or an agent (or plural. Management firm/agency). A manager tends to be more hands-on in the development of material while an agent focuses more on the selling of the project/the writer. There are exceptions to this but this is generally the case.

Very rarely does a "REP" mean a lawyer as far as story development goes.
            -------

I didn't have time to write a short script so I wrote a long one instead.

Comment

One method (although questionable) is to walk into a packed theatre - get up on stage and pitch several loglines to the target audience. Once you get the hang of dodging tubs of popcorn and X-tra large cups of Coke, your nerves eventually settle.

I don't mind sharing ideas - although I always keep it vague. I've got a few ideas I keep locked in the vault - just for me. Just in case. I'm sure there's some plagiarism that does happen, although in the screenwriting world it may be rare?
              @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
              X