"The 40-Year Old Virgin" and break in story POV?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The 40-Year Old Virgin" and break in story POV?

Hi, all.

I've always wondered about those scenes (just the one scene, really) in said movie where Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen are playing "Mortal Combat" and calling each other gay. It's cross-cut with, from what I remember, a serious scene between Steve Carrell and Catherine Keener - but outside of having some sort of cross-cutting significance (as in, creating a relationship between the two scenes) - which I don't think it has, don't these "gay scenes" break POV?

The story POV is Andy's (think that's his name), but the "gay scenes" don't have any sort of impact on his story and were most likely improvised, but, how are they justified for the story, aside from being comedy in a comedy movie?

Re: "The 40-Year Old Virgin" and break in story POV?

I don't think there's any justification for it. I wouldn't take it too seriously. The movie is played pretty loose. And to be fair, the scene does cross-cut with Andy on the phone and ends with him talking to the guys about the plans he just made.

I'm not going to analyze the situation here. Some things just don't require it. If this were Chinatown it would probably be worth looking into. But in the end, it's just a comedy with dick jokes.

Ele...

Comment

Thanks, ele, yeah - didn't think there was too much to it.

Comment

it's a juxtaposition - a need for acceptance. Also demonstrates regret.

I don't think they are really talking about being 'homosexual'. The editor or whoever is using a ploy to demonstrate the inner thoughts of Andy, talking himself out of wanting to take that big step and go on the date.

It's a ploy a lot of writers use with the catalyst.

The first scene, with all of them discussing what they want in life and love, is the poker game. Andy goes to the game to be 'accepted'.

If you wanna discuss the film more, lets get out of the way who the Antagonist is.

Then lets look at a similar scene. Speed Dating. The Metaphor scene.
        Last edited by reddery; 02-14-2008, 02:40 AM.
        But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
          But in the end, it's just a comedy with dick jokes.
          And here endeth the lesson.. The lowest common denominator just to get laughs. There is no rhyme or reason for those scenes being there. They are not directly related to the plot except for throw-away gags..

Yawn...

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
            But in the end, it's just a comedy with dick jokes.

Ele...
            I read an interview with Seth Rogan when Superbad came out and they asked him about the R rated rom-coms that they had been so successful with, but so much of the humor revolved around the male anatomy. He then said something like how he wants to name his prod co "Dick n' Heart." It was much funnier when I read it than in my description here.
            If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Working...
            X