Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concept-Driven Scripts - Great Examples

There was a cool thread a while back about the importance of concept versus craft. The old school screenwriting books that emphasize craft want you to be able to write Ordinary People or On the Waterfront....character-based dramas with great dialogue, theme and characters.

But then some people pointed argued that Concept and the ability to milk/exploit a premise--to stay on track with it--is an important skill. Think Josh Stolberg as opposed to Tony Gilroy.

I have used Speed, Liar Liar and was contemplating using the latest Freaky Friday with clients and in classes to show examples of how a screenwriter sticks to a simple concept yet fully exploits the premise...I think that is an important skill for writers who are aiming to write commercial scripts...

I want to add some films as examples or teaching tools to this list. What are some of your favorite (or best) examples of movies which has the strength of really milking a concept/premise for all its worth and really stays on track with the high-concept it professes.

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

Re: Concept-Driven Scripts - Great Examples

Don't laugh at this answer - because NO ONE loved the movie - but I really thought NEXT exploited every single ounce out of its concept of a guy seeing five minutes ahead of time. Fight scenes (he knew what punch was coming) pick up lines (he knew her reaction) ... they took this concept and worked the hell out of it.

If Cage's hair wasn't so bad in it, perhaps it would be more appreciated...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
      There was a cool thread a while back about the importance of concept versus craft. The old school screenwriting books that emphasize craft want you to be able to write Ordinary People or On the Waterfront....character-based dramas with great dialogue, theme and characters.

But then some people pointed argued that Concept and the ability to milk/exploit a premise--to stay on track with it--is an important skill. Think Josh Stolberg as opposed to Tony Gilroy.

I have used Speed, Liar Liar and was contemplating using the latest Freaky Friday with clients and in classes to show examples of how a screenwriter sticks to a simple concept yet fully exploits the premise...I think that is an important skill for writers who are aiming to write commercial scripts...

I want to add some films as examples or teaching tools to this list. What are some of your favorite (or best) examples of movies which has the strength of really milking a concept/premise for all its worth and really stays on track with the high-concept it professes.

Thanks in advance,
      Jim

I'm thinking hard for more recent examples. But I shouldn't have to considering how many High Concepts scripts Hollywood snaps up. Yet examples don't pop into mind -- odd no?

The Pacifier came to mind but I think softened up late act 2 and act 3 seemed weak to me. Now that I think of it, they did not milk the HC for all it was worth. Hmmm.

I can only think of older fims:

What Women Want. (I liked the fact he could also hear his daughter's thoughts about losing her virginity on prom night. That was a nice angle working the HC).

Men In Black - Yes? No?

Back To The Future

12 Monkeys

Memento
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

Memento
        Great call. Definitely qualifies but was already going to use it in my class as example of non-linear storytelling.

Comment

Big?
          Ratatoullie?

Comment

BRUCE/EVAN ALMIGHTY...hated the second one.

I AM LEGEND

Those are fairly current.
            sigpic

Comment

I would say Bruce Almighty would be an example of a HC script NOT fulfilling its potential. i.e., IMO, it didn't at all. (sorry to disagree with you, Adam).

How about Tootsie?

Comment

Groundhog Day
                "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

How dare you disagree with my opinion!

I'm going to go grab the Movies & More section of today's newspaper, and list the HC's out in theaters right now. You could give your students homework over the weekend, Jim...study hall at the local cineplex, if you will.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phatgirl View Post
                    I would say Bruce Almighty would be an example of a HC script NOT fulfilling its potential. i.e., IMO, it didn't at all. (sorry to disagree with you, Adam).

How about Tootsie?
                    I agree on Bruce Almighty.

And - contrary to popular opinion -- I thought Liar, Liar could have done a better job of exploiting the HC.
                    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

40 Year Old Virgin
                      "Witticism"
                      -Some Guy

Comment

Collateral
                        The 40 Year-Old Virgin
                        Duplicity (Gilroy's new script)
                        Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

Cloverfield
                          Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

Originally posted by cynicide View Post
                            40 Year Old Virgin
                            This movie didn't work for me. The structure was off. Some scenes happened way too late into the story. I blame the editor. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Naudikom View Post
                              Cloverfield
                              This was more of a gimmick, IMO.

The high concept was a creature attacking NYC in 2008. Not just because we saw the story through a video camera. Take out the video camera and it is a traditional high concept story, IMO.

Also, Jim, you might want to qualify HC -- Simply because there are so many different definitions floating around.

I, personally, think of HC as "the story itself is the hook", or "the story sells itself". The plot is the story. This is just one definition among many.

Speed

Armageddon

Die Hard

Panic Room

These are the go-to classics for HC... But they are classics for a reason, IMO.

You instantly know what the story is about with just a short blurb for each of these and similar films. And, IMO, they fully and completely exploited their execution and concept to the fullest. They threw everything including the kitchen sink at the protagonists in these stories. Everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong, but in a unique and interesting way. And when the good guys prevailed this is why we loved it (them) so much.

In addition, I also feel you should clarify the difference between a premise and a concept.

"Rogue cops exist and do bad things" is a very simple (and true) premise.

"A rogue cop uses an ellaborate plan to frame a rookie cop for murder in order to cover up the theft of drug money, so he can pay off his gambling debts to the Russian mob" is the concept based on the premise of Rogue Cops exist and what they are capable of. This of course, is "Training Day".
                              Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Working...
                              X