Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Exercise

Exercising in the gym is incredibly boring.
    How do you use your time there to help your writing?

Do you just get on the treadmill and start figuring out plot points? Or do you lift up something heavy and visualize the ending?

If you eat right after working out, are you then able to write?

Re: Writing Exercise

What do you mean?

Done Deal already has a gym for this.
    sigpic

Comment

neat post.

I have a gym where I work. I usually work out during my lunch break and after work. And the entire time, I am on the tread or whatever, i'm thinking about my story, plot points, interesting things/ideas to add.

So yeah, for me, the eliptical/treadmill while figuring out plot points and certain sequences!
      We Are Legion.

Comment

Writing while exercising presupposes that one exercises.

My best ideas come to me when I'm washing the dishes or cleaning the loo. Maybe it's the pink furry slippers and the rubber marigold gloves that create static electricity in my brain or something.

-Derek

Comment

I can't think about writing while I work out. I try, but I just can't focus on it. I am able to focus on the glory of the 23-year old girl on the treadmill in front of me, though. God bless lycra.
          "Witticism"
          -Some Guy

Comment

Can you make yourself have a good idea anywhere? I don't know.

Working out story while working out should be possible.

It might even be easier to sustain these two good habits than attempting just one of them.

Perhaps there is a 3rd good thing I could be doing at the same time as exercising and thinking about story. Giving blood, or something like that. 4 things, even. A Helpline needing volunteers... a letter writing campaign for Amnesty International. And meditation should not be forgotten - there is often not much time for that.

Comment

I only go to the gym if I need to work out the logistics of a chase scene. The other people in the gym look at me a little funny, especially when I'm running through the dialog at the same time. Last time I went I was working on a chase scene involving a dog, so I brought my friends Chow to run on the treadmill behind me.

I still don't know why they canceled my membership...
              For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
              Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Comment

I rarely work out story ideas while exercising, but I do read and/or listen to audiobooks. Considering reading is as important to a writer as writing, I figure that's a dang fine use of my time.

And if you're not in the mood for an actual book, downloading the Creative Screenwriting podcasts to an MP3 player is a fun way to go.

Now, if only I can figure out a way to enjoy the gym as much as I enjoy reading ...
                If you have someone on the set for the hair, why would you not have someone for the words?
                Louis Malle

Comment

Originally posted by yeehi View Post
                  Exercising in the gym is incredibly boring.
                  How do you use your time there to help your writing?

Do you just get on the treadmill and start figuring out plot points? Or do you lift up something heavy and visualize the ending?

If you eat right after working out, are you then able to write?

I've gotta be in the zone, like not pushing the workout too hard, in order to think about the story. At the right pace, the writers mind comes alive. If I'm exercising too hard, all I can think about is finishing the workout.

I can't eat and write at the same time. Tried it and it was a mess.

Comment

When I do work out I listen to music to distract me from the outside world, but to workout my thoughts, I tried to get around things that inspire me... like listening to a PODCAST of Creative Screenwriting as well... I met good of Jeff and COMIC-CON and the EXPO... a rather interesting dude no doubt!

However, inspiration comes at me from many different angles, anything from TV to a good book read. Also, when I met an interesting customer out in the field, being so poised or simply erratic in nature, it draws my curiosity and inspires me to create a character with more depth than just a story driven plot.

So, working out only secures my workout to complete it with satisfaction instead of inspiration. I hope this bit of information helps.

However, Derek's idea of cleaning is quite funny, and enlightening to experience.
                    D. Alin
                    http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

I'm lazy. I flick on the Xbox, f*ck around for a little while. That usually works. That, and just chilling out to some tunage.
                      Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

We got a B-ball net for outside a few weeks ago. Better than caffiene for the brainwaves (especially when the ball rolls into a street and there's a car coming and I've fallen in the middle of the road and my dog's barking at me from inside our fence to get out of the way, and a comet's closing in toward earth.)
                        Last edited by amandag; 04-29-2008, 07:06 AM.
                        https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

Originally posted by yeehi View Post
                          Do you just get on the treadmill and start figuring out plot points?
                          I love the treadmill.

I put on my headphones and start to think . . . I visualize. I close my eyes. Then when somethin' good hits, I push the speed button to go faster. My blood pumps. I push it to go even faster. My blood pumps even more. Then I hit incline.

And then, it never fails, that's when I hear that faint, little voice, "Daddy . . daddy!"

And bam! I open my eyes and there she is. My daughter, sweaty, runnin' like a fool on the treadmill as I stand next to it with my blood pumpin' and my creativity spell broken.

I say, "Wait up!" And I push faster and I close my eyes again.

And then it all comes together in my mind. I got it. I smile.

And then I open my eyes.

And she's gone . . . again. Twenty feet behind the treadmill, against the wall, laid out, being lazy and bloody . . . and crying.

I'll never understand her.

Corona
                          I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                          I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Working...
                          X