Any Suggestions for copying out a script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Suggestions for copying out a script?

I am determined to complete a script, one way or another, by this weekend.

I cannot go on like this.

Here is what I will do:

1) Pick a script
    2) Type it out from FADE IN to FADE OUT

What I can easily change, I will. Names will be different, for example. I will adjust dialogue in ways that will allow me to keep typing, but I just want to get to the end.

Does anybody have a suggestion for which script to use for this purpose? Something that has a great structure and would lend itself to being recast in a different era/location/genre?

I think I will go with Deus Ex Machine's "Armored", but would like to hear some alternatives.

Re: Any Suggestions for copying out a script?

West Side Story.

Change the story around to depict two feuding noble families of the 1500s.
    -------

I didn't have time to write a short script so I wrote a long one instead.

Comment

Off topic, but I remember reading a screenwriting book and the author talked about a time when somebody rewrote Chinatown word for word, and only changed the names.

When they passed the rewritten script around to "experts" they all said that the script was garbage.

No help to you, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Comment

THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS--Only the mirror goes through Alice.
        https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

I recently did something similar, but for different reasons. I'm working on adapting a cult classic into a stage play, but no script is available.

So I transcribed the movie. Total bitch... pause disc, type. Pause disc, type.

But on the other hand, man do I know this narrative now. Cool character quirks that I'd never caught before. Unsuspected subtexts that jumped out.

So... maybe this'll work more creatively for you, in that you'd be using your own voice to describe the action, rather than what's already on the page coloring what you type. Type the dialogue from memory as you go along.

Do something off the hook, like take Die Hard and shift the setting to a high school as you type.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

When I was first starting out to get a feel for structure, pacing etc, I redid Body Heat as Buddy Heat and replaced all female characters with men ha... instead of Racine seeing her in a white dress, he sees a suave dude in a white suit etc
            "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by edamame View Post
              West Side Story.

Change the story around to depict two feuding noble families of the 1500s.

On those lines, please keep the suggestions coming, people.

For example,

Seven Samurai --> The Magnificent Seven
              1600s Japan Old West Mexico

I could do something like this:

Sleepless in Seattle --> ??? Catatonic in Camelot?
              Modern USA ??? Olde England

He would be She, and She would instead of having trouble with sleeping, have trouble with waking...

Well..., you have the idea, I am sure.

I think I will just have to sleep on it myself, look at the suggestions here and then just get started.

Comment

For the record, I think this is a bad way to go. Just come up with your own story, and if it sucks -- rewrite it.

However, in the spirit of being helpful...

If you find a newer script, you can get a text-smart PDF. Open it in Adobe Acrobrat, select all and paste the whole thing into Final Draft or Movie Magic. The format will be all jacked, but that should only take a couple hours to fix. Then you can change all the character names, actions, etc. fairly easily.

When my Mac blew a hard drive, I ended up saving a few old scripts cause I had the PDFs and just pulled the text out.

Comment

Yeehi,

Have you considered taking ritalin or adderall? These magic pills are prescribed to little hyperactive helmet wearing kids in order to get them to sit down and focus, but they work for people of all ages.

Comment

That is pretty much how I learned to write screenplays. I didn't really "get" structure until I did that.

I would take any well-structured script in a genre you like. Is there a particular area you're interested in? Maybe we can give better suggestions if we know you're looking for comedies, thrillers, etc.

Comment

Just check out the thread on Concept Driven Scripts - Great Examples - http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=39478
                      826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

Working...
                      X