Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In your script there were...

If you have one of the popular screenwriting software thingies, how often do you look at this breakdown?

I have 50 characters, of whom 13 spoke 11 or more times, 5 spoke 5-10 times, and 31 spoke 1-4 times for a combined total dialogue count of 11,776 words.

148 scenes with 87 unique locations.

1036 action elements.

lol. So that's where all my nights went!

Re: In your script there were...

I only use the profanity count, to ensure I keep up my averages
    TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I found through my stats that I have a habit of giving the secondary lead more dialogue than the protag.

But hey, I guess it's just the old Batman/Robin dynamic. The protag acts, the sidekick comments.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
        I found through my stats that I have a habit of giving the secondary lead more dialogue than the protag.

But hey, I guess it's just the old Batman/Robin dynamic. The protag acts, the sidekick comments.
        It can be very useful. Some of it's a bit of a surprise to say the least..
        Last edited by suzeaa; 05-05-2008, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by suzeaa View Post
          It can be very useful. Some of it's a bit of a surprise to say the least..
          Oh yeah, certainly. Location Reports are very useful for getting all those location names consistant.

Comment

How many people here use it to sculpt their stories and how many just peek at it out of curiosity?

I only used it once, somewhere in the middle, to make sure one of the supports was getting her fair share.

Comment

Originally posted by suzeaa View Post
              How many people here use it to sculpt their stories and how many just peek at it out of curiosity?

I only used it once, somewhere in the middle, to make sure one of the supports was getting her fair share.

I use it.

Most of my scripts run two equal, parallel storylines, so I reference it quite a bit to make sure each "dual" lead has approximately the same number of scenes. ( give or take a few )

That is what I will miss the most about Sophocles.

I liked the visual aspect of showing the characters as "bubbles" ( the larger the character, the larger the "bubble" ), with lines inter-connecting the "bubbles" according to how much each character talks to the next.

It only took a split-second to have a look, and then make the changes accordingly.
              il faut d'abord durer

Comment

I use it regularly, for all of the above reasons, and also to catch overlong action and dialogue lines. Current script: "The longest Action line was 5 lines on Page 23" / "The longest speech was 7 lines on Page 4 by..." -- cue trimming scissors. Hey, total dialogue count is exactly 5,000 words! Methinks some characters might be suffering from monosyllabia.

-Derek

3-page writing challenge coming up in January.

Comment

I use it to make sure I keep my dialog down. I figure they're "moving pictures" so I let the images do the talking. I don't write talky stuff.

Comment

I find it helpful to look at character interactions to see how the relationships are coming through i.e. Character A speaks X times, interacts mostly with Y.

Also, I like the reports where you can read each character's dialogue in isolation. It's useful when you're trying to be sure each character has a distinctive voice and stays in... character.

Comment

I just checked one of my scripts and I have 88 uses of the word "fvck" or one of it's other uses (motherfvcker, etc).

I am not proud of this.

Comment

Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
                        I just checked one of my scripts and I have 88 uses of the word "fvck" or one of it's other uses (motherfvcker, etc).

I am not proud of this.
                        That's almost enough. The new rules in Hollywood:

Between 90 and 110 uses of fvck. 120 used to be the standard, but my manager says no more. Try to hit exactly 100 if possible. Many readers will put down a script if they don't see the first fvck by page 3.

Comment

Just checked.

Bottom of page 3, baby!

Just gotta add 12 more and I'll sell this motherfvcker!

Comment

I only have a couple f*cks, a few assh*les and maybe one d*ckhead.

You're all such dirty boys.

Comment

I love the reports. I check them every so often to get a feel for the makeup of my overall script.

My fav. is the Profanity Report.

The script I'm working on right now has that wonderful F word 40 times... and I just finished page 31. Conversely, the 106 pager I just finished only used it 36 times.

The 103 page animated family film I recently finished only used it 27 times, so I'm pretty proud of that one.
                              For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
                              Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Comment

Working...
                              X