Any Thoughts On Writing a Sequel or Remake as A Spec.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Thoughts On Writing a Sequel or Remake as A Spec.

... as a sample of what you can do? It's unauthorized of course but I offer this after thinking about how the unsolicited Wonder Woman spec was positively received.
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Re: Any Thoughts On Writing a Sequel or Remake as A Spec.

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
    ... as a sample of what you can do? It's unauthorized of course but I offer this after thinking about how the unsolicited Wonder Woman spec was positively received.
    I think there was a lot more than meets the eye for that deal though.
    "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

I know exactly how much of my life I have to give up to write a solid screenplay. The sleepless nights. The missed social occasions. Etc etc...

To sacrifice all that and come out the other end with something pretty much no one (of career importance) would consider reading, something I couldn't turn into a novel/comic book/game if I one day had the opportunity... well, I just don't see the point.

I tend to find I come up with 3 times as many workable concepts as I have the time to write. There are stories there that people will want to read. That can be bought without huge rights issues. That, if they remain unsold, can be turned into a novel/comic book etc...

A writer only gets to tell so many stories in their lifetime. I try to choose mine carefully.
      twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Why spend so much time writing a screenplay that you can't sell? Put at that effort into something that might payoff someday.

Comment

I would say NEVER NEVER NEVER.

Even though most amateur writers will start out by writing a few worthless scripts, you should never set out purposely writing a worthless script.

Comment

The more esoteric reasons why one shouldn't write a sequel, or remake as a spec is it doesn't demonstrate you can come up with something original.

A sequel to, or a remake of an existing property amounts to fan fiction because the work of creating compelling characters and worlds has already been done for you.

Bottom line: There are no shortcuts.

Unless you know the right people and can convince them otherwise, you must pay your dues and write an original spec, have it optioned and or produced and then you will be in a position to do assignments like sequels and remakes... Which is how a good majority of working screenwriters make their living. The good news is if you are lucky enough to get assignment work it is almost exactly like writing fan fiction because the process is very similar.

Most assignment work is to adapt other properties like comic books, video games, cartoons, novels, plays, etc.

Depending on the company they will more than likely have an outline (beat sheet) for you to work from -- Especially if this is rewrite number so-and-so and other writers have been working on it -- And all you have to do is bring your own voice, experience and vision to the project that fits within that beat sheet.

This is why coming up with an original spec is how you prove to producers you know what you're doing because if you're given a beat sheet, it is assumed you already know the basics like three act structure, rising and falling mini-dramas (sequences), etc. Knowledge that makes a beat sheet useless if you don't know how to apply the craft of screenwriting to the beats on that beat sheet.
            Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenhouse1 View Post
              Why spend so much time writing a screenplay that you can't sell? Put at that effort into something that might payoff someday.

Because it's fun.

It might make a fan film for someone with money. I've heard of someone going this route with a Green Lantern script.

It's an exercise in learning.

But (most of us) STRONGLY caution against doing it for money.

"The two things that run Hollywood are fear and greed." - Syd Field

Comment

This topic has come up in the past, so to save time and energy, I've just copied and pasted my past response.

A lot of writers get excited and inspired, where they're just bursting to write a sequel to copyrighted work, but saner heads always calm them down.

If a writer gets a story idea for a sequel, this is what I suggest:

File the story idea away. Don't spend 6 months to a year writing it. Just not yet anyway. Keep writing original stories. If the writer ever sells and becomes successful, then he can ask his agent to get him a meeting with the studio to pitch his concept to their continuing franchise, whichever one that may be.

I know what some writers are thinking: "Why can't I just pitch my idea now? It's great!"

I never heard of a studio willing to hear a pitch from an unproven writer (no sales, options or big competition wins) for something so important, speaking profits.

Studios like to have proven writers work on their cash cows such as important sequels and adaptations of best selling novels.

If a writer is so excited about the story idea that he can't wait, then I suggest they change the characters and such so the story would be original, or, like I said, wait until the writer becomes successful, where a studio would agree to take a meeting.

Some writers believe if a studio isn't interested in their completed story on the sequel, they could use it as a sample of their writing to get them work.

A writer will not be able to use it as a sample to show off their abilities because another writer created the characters and world.

A writer won't even be able to legally sign a release form to send it out as a sample, because the rights to the characters and such aren't the writer's.

In theory, the owner of the copyrighted material could sue.

In fact, the writer has no copyright protection because he didn't have permission to write a sequel to copyrighted material.

This means if the owner of the copyrighted material likes any aspect of the writer's story, he can take it and pass it on to the writers who have permission, without any fear of a lawsuit.

So, to sum up, a writer wanting to write a sequel can wait until he gets successful, or at least an agent that can get him a meeting with the studio to pitch, or change the characters and such to make it original.

Don't waste 6 months to a year writing something you can't do anything with.

If it's for fun or a learning experience, I suggest you do this with an original story idea, because hey, you just may get lucky where it comes out great, and being yours, you'll be able to do something with it.

There is a case where a writer named Peter Briggs used a spec Alien vs Predator script as a writing sample and broke in as a result.

Englishman Peter Briggs worked in the industry in England as a cameraman, writing original scripts on the side. He sent these scripts to William Morris and ICM agencies in L.A., where both sent word that they'd would like to rep him. He went with ICM, but stayed in England working for Paramount UK, helping develop science fiction projects.

After a year, ICM didn't get him any work, so he left them.

Peter did eventually write a spec based on copyrighted material, but he had an English agent that took it straight to producer Larry Gordon who was asked the week before by Fox to come up with this exact same material.

So, it was a fluke. Peter not only had the right background, but an agent to represent him, plus good timing, though, eventually after delays and new people coming in, Alien vs Predator ended up being written and directed by Paul W.S. Anderson.

Comment

If you want to write something based on something that exists already, write a spec script for a TV show (I wrote one for "The Simpsons" and another for "Chuck"). Those ideas might not be produced (copyright reasons), but they're a great calling card if you want to break in.
                  "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I think it's a bad idea working on a screenplay with no potential and future possibilties but it's your decision.

Comment

It might show people "hey, I can write other peoples crap too!"

since 99% of stuff coming out of Hollywood is sequels or remakes it might be good to have, but what do I know? I've never tried it because I've always heard it looks unprofessional.

Comment

If you do it, you're not aiming high enough.

When you start writing a story by telling yourself "I can do as good as the last guy", you're actually telling yourself "I can't do any better".

And that's a bad place to start.

Don't you have your own characters begging you to tell the world their story? What are you waiting for?

Maybe they're a little rough around the edges right now, and need to be more developed, but let them help you learn to write. Finish YOUR story -- they will help you.

There's nothing more enjoyable to me than watching a character, that started out as an idea in my head, turn real. And they will. Some of my characters are more real to me than the people I know in "real" life.

But you have to be patient, they're kind of blocky at first -- mine usually wait until around page 40 or 50 before they really express themselves. But when you find out what makes them tick, what their idiosyncrasies are, the way they really talk and what they actually think of your other characters, they start to write themselves. They start to tell you where they want to go. And that's when writing fiction gets fun.

If you write with somebody else's characters, you never get to see YOUR characters come alive. What's the point in that?
                        "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Didn't someone write a Muppets spec script that sold?
                          Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
                          Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
                          Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

You can always write a remake with the idea you're just learning to construct a story based on a favorite of yours. I don't think writing anything is going to be a waste of time - you'll improve if nothing else. But I wouldn't think its a great idea for a money maker.

Bot
                            Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

Working...
                            X