Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referencing another movie in action?

So here's my question. How do you feel about referencing a scene or character from another movie in the action description?

Example:
    "They're face to face, only she's upside down. Like in Spider-Man, only reversed."

Just an example, but how do you feel about that? Would you do it? Do you do it? Do you feel it pulls the reader out of the story (like "we see" or camera direction)?

When writing the first draft of my latest, I threw in a line like this, and I'm not sure how I (or more accurately, others/readers) feel about it.

So what do you think?
    For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
    Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Re: Referencing another movie in action?

I know it's only an example that you've posted, but you're assuming that the person reading your script has seen Spider-Man and knows what it is you're referencing.

Now, I'm sure he/she probably has seen it, but I'd be careful in assumptions. It's like saying:

Johnny blasts his way through the corridor. Guards go flying in every direction. He's doing flips like Neo in the Matrix.

Crap example, yeah, but what if the reader hasn't seen the Matrix? They're going to be lost.

Comment

Hmm... good point, doubler.

So how much of our writing can we consider our "voice", and how much do we have to reconsider when taking into account the readers? Should any and all culture/entertainment refrences be slashed for fear that the readers won't know what we are talking about?

IDK. I'm not saying this as a retort, but asking as a genuine question.
      For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
      Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Comment

In general I'd stay away from references within the action. You want to show off your writing skills by doing the work yourself, right? I can however imagine in some cases where it might work in a comedy script; just as a way to add flavor to your voice and shortcut to the visual gag etc - but even then you risk running into the same problem as Doubler mentioned.

Comment

If you use high profile movies like THE MATRIX and SPIDER-MAN, you should be fine. The aformentioned images are practically iconic in pop culture.

Where you might run into trouble is with something like this:

The kid sheepishly edges his way through the crush of students. He gets bumped, shoved, elbowed... but he soldiers on, finally arriving at his locker.

A**HOLE (O.S.)
          Hey, dork!

The kid whips around...

And for the first time we get a good look at his face -- bad acne, horn-rimmed glasses and... a familiar scar running from his left eyebrow down to his chin. The same scar...

And then it hits us, and there's a PALINDROMES-esque moment when we realize this acne-ridden nerd is none other than Buzz. Different personality, different actor... but somehow the same guy. Since he's no longer a jock, we'll call him BERT.

A**HOLE
          I hear you got kicked out of St. Ignatius.
          Did you geek out or something?

(I'm assuming Buzz got kicked out of St. Ignatius and has been transferred to a public school. And now he's a nerd. No, it doesn't make sense, but what the hell -- it's Friday.)
          "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

(It is Friday, isn't it?)
            "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

The closest I get is:

The door SLAMS open...

... enter TANNER LUCAS, badass. Early 30's, whippet-lean. Unshaven. Sweat soaks the sides of his wife-beater.

Looks nothing at all like Josh Hartnett.
              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I do it a lot in my scripts. Mostly because I've read it in so many scripts. Tarantino references characters and scenes in all his screenplays.

If your reader hasn't seen Spider-Man or The Matrix they shouldn't be a reader. I like to think anyone working in the film industry is pretty knowledgeable about films.

Comment

I'd use it sparingly. I think you can use it occasionally as shorthand, to make your descriptions short and clear. But the thing is, your screenplay is your calling card for you as a writer. The action, just as much as the dialogue, should reflect your voice, style, and skill. So you don't want to spend too much time talking about someone else's movie.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a general reference to something iconic, like, "Joe enters in his new tux. From the slight swagger in his stroll, it's clear he's listening to the Bond theme in his head." But if you're actually directly lifting imagery from another screenplay -- a la the SPIDERMAN example above -- maybe you don't want to emphasize that by flat-out pointing it out in the description. 'Cause you want a reader to leave your screenply thinking of all the things that made it stand out, all the stuff that was impressive and unique. You don't want them remembering all the stuff you did that reminded them of somebody else's work.
                  The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

Sparringly, and only where there's a strong visual image you want to get across with that type of shorthand. And, specifically I would only do it to call up a visual joke.

but that's me.

Comment

Working...
                    X