Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How was your story born?

My sister passed away a few short months ago and I have been compelled to deal with it in a number of ways - and my latest screenplay deals with the loss of loved ones (Mom, Dad and Sis all left me in just the past 5 years) and what time does to our memories and if given a chance to relive a day with them - what would it be like?

So that's how it was born.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerT View Post
      My sister passed away a few short months ago and I have been compelled to deal with it in a number of ways - and my latest screenplay deals with the loss of loved ones (Mom, Dad and Sis all left me in just the past 5 years) and what time does to our memories and if given a chance to relive a day with them - what would it be like?

My condolences Roger. You've suffered a lot of loss.

The theme of reliving a day with lost loved ones is universal and powerful.

An idea that can resonate with everyone. I'd like to read it.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

How was your story born?

I totally believe that we have the ability to tap into a creative energy. For me that energy comes from meditation-- in a state of not thinking. Even though the genre of my story was based around things of personal interest (near-death, remote viewing, etc.), the actual story came to me in an "instant" (all three acts...and my story is complex!) without really any thought process. It's like it was downloaded into my brain in a flash. Of course I spent several months of "thought process" working it all out on paper in a script, but the storyline was just in my mind out of nowhere!

This happened to me about 5 years ago as well. I came up with a "program" for kids to use mnemonics as a way to learn their multiplication. I scribbled this 6 step process in a few minutes down on paper without really thinking about it-- like taking dictation. Again, it was just there in a flash, no real thought process to it. Well this program (which I won't mention as it's my real job) is a very out-of-the-box, unconventional way to learn, it has sold thousands and is used in schools across the US and has helped tons of kids with learning disabilities and those that couldn't progress in math.

This also happened to me with a painting I did several years ago. I had this "picture" in my mind of my great-grandmother sitting at a table. Now, I don't really know how to paint (no training other than high school art class) but I was determined to get this picture out of my head. So, I painted.... This painting sits in our living room and I've been asked several times where I bought it. I haven't painted since, and won't, unless I get "creatively inspired" to.

So...never underestimate the power of creative energy.

Comment

Jenvon -- very cool experiences you've had.

Some people here on DD have had dreams that gave them ideas for stories.

I had one that keeps bugging me because I didn't see the ending in the dream.
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I cried while I wrote yesterday. I'm talking tears on my keyboard.

I wrote the scene when my protagonist, who has spent a couple of wonderful days in 1965 with his younger self, Mom, Dad and Sister, must leave to return to 2009 early in the morning as they sleep. Only his dad knows who he really is.

He stops by each room to watch them, leave a memento, or say a few words. I knew this page would happen when I started 86 pages ago but I did not know how tough it would be.

But I'm glad I did it.

Comment

My ideas usually come from thinking... A LOT. I'm constantly asking questions to myself about every aspect of life, and sometimes I come across a subject I'd like to explore further, and a one sentence logline pops into my head, or a single scene/image, usually pivotal to the story. It's great when it happens, I write it down and add it to my arsenal of prospective screenplays. Then I wait for the decision to go ahead with it.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerT View Post

Roger, God bless you and your beautiful angels, brother.

I don't know what else to say. But take care of yourself, okay?

Corona
                I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

thanks Jcorona, Anitapooh and SC111.

Well, the result is a screenplay called MANY HAPPY RETURNS.

Total first draft effort - if anyone would care to read it just let me know by p.m. or on this thread.

Comment

Mine came out of a single sentence that would not get out of my head.

"It had started simply."

I had to figure out What the "it" was, and the How of "started simply", and then the biggest part, Why was it not "simple".

Of course, it helped to know that I wanted to write a story in the horror/thriller vein. It also helped to not force the story- many times I thought things would go a certain way, only to find the story turned in places I didn't expect- half the fun of writing is to see where the story truly takes you as a writer.

I have never found using a plot outline to help me- I have a beginning, an end, and a vague feeling of what may happen in between.... that way I let the story tell itself without any pre-conceived notion of what I want to write. Another thing I've found is that if I can't "see" the scene in my head, I'm only going to force the story which leads to writing.... dreck.
                    Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X