Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writer's Block

Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys do to overcome writer's block. It seems I have some really good ideas for stories but yet for some reason cannot flesh them all out. Is there a good website out there for the tricks of the trade to making scripts longer, aka character study and subplots?

Thanks
    The Best Impersonation of Christian Bale Freak Out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5631H6KuE

Re: Writer's Block

Well, first of all, we never utter those words on the board...

Comment

Oh, and the last time I had that problem, I got through it by writing Barton Fink.

Try it, it really works.

Comment

I would say, in my opinion, writer's block doesn't exist. It's a state of mind.

Comment

Go play a sport, walk the beach, go to the mall, watch a movie and RELAX. Let the story come to you.

Comment

I agree with Charli. I experienced a particularly nasty case during the second draft of my script... the kind that wakes you up in the middle of the night in a panic and you begin to convince yourself to go back to grad school. I went to a bunch of movies, read, took about a thousand walks, listened to a lot of gorecki, had a few lovely gin and tonics...you get the idea.

I also found writing in a different medium (ie, short stories, character sketches, letters... anything to just keep writing) tremendously helpful.

Hang in there and plow through any way you can.

Comment

Keep writing. Write garbage, then go back and make it suck less.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Unidos View Post
                Keep writing. Write garbage, then go back and make it suck less.
                That's exactly what I've been doing lately.

Corona
                I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

I'm with Joe.

When I don't feel particularly creative or coherent, I allow myself to write complete gibberish. And I mean COMPLETE gibberish.

Haio blagger runs morton saltpeter.

HAIO
                  Garbage much?

LONGJOHN SLIVER
                  Bread.

HAIO
                  Oh.

If I'm lucky, my brain will start to force more and more association between my words, and I can get on with the process of actually writing.

If I'm not lucky, I'll write about ten pages of nonsense, and then fall out of my chair and curl up into a ball of insecurity and self-loathing.

Curly cues of rubbermade band balls as Haio weeps tears for fears of good loving.

HAIO
                  (wailing)
                  Popsiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicle!
                  (soft)
                  popsicle.
                  "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

Originally posted by Typewriter View Post
                    Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys do to overcome writer's block. It seems I have some really good ideas for stories but yet for some reason cannot flesh them all out. Is there a good website out there for the tricks of the trade to making scripts longer, aka character study and subplots?

Thanks
                    Yes, I have the perfect remedy that works everytime.

When you are suffering from writers block, just remember that your competition is not and is actually writing at that very moment.

and if the thought of beating someone else to the sale so you can live the dream doesn't motivate you, nothing will.

Comment

Originally posted by evaduchamp View Post
                      listened to a lot of gorecki
                      I love Henryk Gorecki

I was just going to say, if you find yourself stalling, buy a pair of killer headphones and get some new music.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphy W View Post
                        And curl up into a ball of insecurity and self-loathing.
                        Wow, that's how I normally start writing, and or my day.

I'm just kidding.

Actually, a few lovely vodka, more vodka and even more vodka and ice(s) turns that ball of insecurity and self-loathing into a ball, or sphere of magical delight.

For writer's block, I do agree that as a start, removing yourself from the material helps. Writing your way through is, imo, a possibly risky proposition and a practice that could get tedious. Nothing wrong with evacuating your muse's bowels, but it could be a long and protracted BM.
                        Last edited by Ire; 07-17-2008, 10:23 PM.
                        #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

I usually put on one of my favorite movies which reminds me why I want to be a screenwriter in the first place.

Comment

Set a very, very, very small goal in writing. Maybe to complete one page. And, if that seems too much, write one paragraph or even one line of text.

And, then if you complete the very small mini goal, you pat yourself on the back and feel successful since you met your goal. Who knows you may end up writing more than your goal?
                            826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

I can't tell by your post whether you have ever typed Fade Out, finished a script.

If you never reached that point, I wanted to suggest the book The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. I'd finished four scripts by the time I read it, but it gave me great insight into the resistance I felt while writing each and every one of them.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X