• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Truly Great Dialogue

And little ding a lings.

http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Nope. I'm shorter than average, but averagely so. Are you a little person, Shari?
      "Witticism"
      -Some Guy

Comment

Originally posted by La Femme Joyeuse View Post
        There are no little people - only little minds.
        You rock, Jules!

See ya at the Newsroom...

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
          And little ding a lings.

You PEEKED!?!!?

Oh, wait... um, I meant, "You couldn't POSSIBLY mean me, madam."

Comment

Originally posted by CrackDown View Post
            I'd just like to go on record and say that I thought In Bruges was one of the worst films I had ever seen.
            i'd just like to go on record and say you're crazy. in bruges was a phenomenal combination of great acting, directing, and writing. one of the best films of last year.

also, i have a sneaking suspicion that shari hari is a midget...

Comment

What an ironic title for a post in a thread that everyone is being so "on the nose"... where's the subtext?

Example.

INT. STORE - DAY

A LITTLE PERSON walks in. JACK, an employee, looks down at her.

JACK
              How's the weather down there?

LITTLE PERSON
              Smells like dick.

JACK
              I thought you guys are supposed to be jolly?

LITTLE PERSON
              That's fat people.

JACK
              What are you guys known for?

The LITTLE PERSON kicks Jack in the balls. He's in agony.

LITTLE PERSON
              Sneak attacks. ASS*OLE

Comment

Desperately trying to get this back on track... I was just watching one of my all time favorites (and my favorite crime movie), Heat. There is a great little scene where Robert Dinero is talking to Val Kilmer in his place about Kilmer's attachment to his wife. Dinero basically states the theme in his great little monologue about how you don't get involved in anything you can't walk away from in 30 seconds if you spot the heat around the corner.

Then Kilmer replies, "For me the sun rises and sets with her." He delivers it so perfectly that you know he's in love with his wife. However, I don't know about you, but on the page I would've seen this line and went, "Too much". It sounds cheesy on the page. It could easily be overdone. Something that woulda been admittedly more bland but easier to see in this "tough guy" script is something like, "I'm sorry. I can't live without her."

This brings up an interesting problem, which is, an actor can bring a very BADLY WRITTEN or CHEESY looking line to life if he says it the right way. In fact, some of the most famous lines ever are just because of the way the actor delivers them. "I'll be back."

So keeping this in mind, how are you supposed to write dialogue? Do you take a chance, assuming that Val Kilmer is going to deliver your line perfectly once they're shooting, even if it means having a reader read that line and say, "This line sucks?" Or do you play it a little safer and try for something that looks better on the page but maybe doesn't have that punch once it gets up onscreen?
                Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

If your other lines don't sound cheesy, that one probably won't.

Either way, you have no control over what they change, really, so that's oddly freeing.
                  https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

Working...
                  X