Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sticky ideas

Having been mulling around story ideas, I've decided that certain concepts are really sticky--with a frictional, almost tacky surface texture for character, theme, color, tone, and twists to stick to. Alternatively, certain concepts are more slippery, or 'finer' in surface texture, which force the writer to 'hold' characters and plot together with a series of artifices; Like baby plants being tied to stakes.

The 'finer' ideas are usually too simple, sometimes requiring more subplots to string the plot together. The 'tackier' ideas, though not necessarily complicated, birth the subtexts as additional intersections to the plot, which create a continuous momentum, even within apparent distractions from the main plot.

Anyhoo, I think if one has any trouble filling the length of a script, or if the time can be filled with 'chatting' scenes separate from the story's momentum, the idea is too slippery. On the other hand, if one is fighting for time to develop character, that story is 'tacki-licious,' as one has the opportunity to develop and arc one's characters through a series of urgent or semi-urgent moments.

But it is, in fact, possible, for an idea to be too 'tacki-licious.' And that ain't right either.

The end.
    https://actbreakdown.com

Re: sticky ideas

Have you been painting and wall papering your house?

For me, the ideas that call out to me are the ones where someone has to do something really awful to deal with the problem. If you can just push a button or something, it's not a good idea. If you have to deal with messy personal situations that are sure to get even worse - those are the good ones. I look for the concepts where the protag will wish he were dead halfway through.

I like the sticky vs. slippery thing.

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

My current script is very sticky.

(That sentence takes on a whole new meaning if you read my post in the Why does the issue of Theme draw so much interest? thread.)
      "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

"Sippery" . . . "sticky."

So so true.

"Tacki-licious?"

Love it. Never thought of it that way, but will from now on.

Corona
        I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
        I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell
          For me, the ideas that call out to me are the ones where someone has to do something really awful to deal with the problem. If you can just push a button or something, it's not a good idea. If you have to deal with messy personal situations that are sure to get even worse - those are the good ones. I look for the concepts where the protag will wish he were dead halfway through.
          I totally agree, Martell. That's an awesome way to look for ideas.

Ralphy:

Bro:
          https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

Working...
          X