Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exposition

Alright, I was wondering how you're supposed to reveal a big part of the story without making it seem forced or making it seem like the talking between two characters is only there so it can reveal something to the audience.

Is that the experience of it all? Trying to write it in there in such a way where it doesn't seem forced?
    We Are Legion.

Re: Exposition

One way: use a visual 'object' or clue or question that means something (subtle) earlier in the story, and revisit it in connection to the reveal or person redefined in the 'da da da' moment.

Another way: have suspense or danger occurring during the exposition, so that while people are discovering something, the audience is focused on something (creeping around outside, e.g.) which will lead to an immediate conflict after the discovery.
    https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

reveal exposition through conflict and action. give people things to do when they are talking.

for instance, one of the best, imho, of revealing expo is the scene in BASIC INSTINCT when she is being interrogated. the box shot. data dumps are crucial elements to all story's they must be hidden within a scene that has movement and action.

in action movies much of the expo is revealed while they are doing something, like looking for treasure or traversing a mountain, stuff like that so the audience can watch something on screen without getting the feeling of talking heads.

ugly
      You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

I was just looking through Save the Cat a few days ago. Blake Snyder refers to a solution called the Pope in the Pool...basically something interesting needs to be taking place while the exposition/back story is being explained.

R.O.T.

Comment

If it's set up right, it should seem like whatever the exposition is would naturally be said at the point it is said.

Usually, when I have a line or two that I can't get to NOT sound like exposition, it's because I'm trying to put it where it doesn't belong.
          Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Good stuff people... Good stuff.
            We Are Legion.

Comment

Working...
            X