Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get through a bad phase?

I've been writing a bit more than I normally do, as of late, but I feel like everything I'm writing, sucks. The words aren't flowing as well as they should be. I have to look words up that normally would come to me. I'm not too confident about where I'm taking the characters.

Have you gone through phases like this? What's the best cure for it?

I feel like if I try and write through it, my writing won't get better.

Any advice?

Re: How to get through a bad phase?

Sounds very familiar. I haven't found the cure yet.

-Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Popcorntreect View Post
      I've been writing a bit more than I normally do, as of late, but I feel like everything I'm writing, sucks. The words aren't flowing as well as they should be. I have to look words up that normally would come to me. I'm not too confident about where I'm taking the characters.

Have you gone through phases like this? What's the best cure for it?

I feel like if I try and write through it, my writing won't get better.

I don't know how to break this to you, but what you're describing are the good times. When you really have a bad phase, you don't feel like everything you write sucks, you know it does.
      "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Reread stuff ya wrote 5 years ago that also sucked, and then cheer up because even your sucking has improved tremendously.

Midnite

Comment

Take a break. Do something else for a while until you can't fight the urge to write. It has worked for me a couple of times. Hardest part is thinking you'll lose momentum since you've been writing more lately. Guess what? You are a writer. You'll keep writing anyway. Might as well write when you know you'll enjoy the process. good luck.

Comment

If you take the pressure off yourself when you're working, it helps a lot.
            https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

There is no cure, simply walk away from the project for a little while, pitch the logline/synopsis to someone before you come back to it, but leave it alone for a good while.

Charli

Comment

The only cure for bad writing is to write more.

That, or outlining. I find myself getting stuck when I don't know the characters or situations well enough.
                I'm like an opening band for the sun.
                -- Eddie Vedder: "Push Me / Pull Me"

Comment

Go back and outline. Something's probably wrong with your story; maybe your making your characters act in ways that aren't true to them, or maybe your forcing a plot point that doesn't actually work, but you need to stop working on the actual script and start just doing notes. Take a step back and find out what's wrong with your story. Don't stop writing, though. Don't take a break. Worst case scenario is that you work on a different script, but I would strongly suggest you forge ahead on this script.

Everyone goes through this; it's part of writing. It's the part that makes you feel stupid and untalented, and you hate all the other writers because they never have to suffer as much as you do, and it's just further proof that you're never going to make it. Yes, I've been there. The best thing you can do is work through this. When you figure it out and things are back on track, it's the best part of writing, and you'll feel like you can really do this, you are talented, and you have the perseverence to make it. And the more times you hit the wall and figure out how to climb over it, the easier it becomes. So take a step back, but don't take a step away. You'll figure it out.
                  "Witticism"
                  -Some Guy

Comment

You're always one good idea away from loving writing again.

It's akin to confidence in sports. Once you get on a roll, you can't be stopped. But you need that one big win to get it rolling.

Keep fighting til you get that win.
                    Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Rewrite it later.

*Later*.

For now, just keep writing stuff that sucks. Because you can always rewrite stuff that sucks, but you can't rewrite what was never written.

- Bill (why are tongues always depressed?)
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                        Sounds very familiar. I haven't found the cure yet.

-Derek
                        Word. Me either.

Keep writing, I guess. Maybe go look at some art...maybe go look at some strippers...might help?
                        sigpic

Comment

You can only get through a bad phase by writing your way to a good phase.

The writing that you think sucks may be on the verge of petering out.
                          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I stopped writing and played sports, rugby, softball, gym work-outs, etc. Took me awhile to get back to writing, but then I was ready.

Comment

Working...
                            X