Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page count...

Somebody help me out. I'm all tied in knots over this.

I'm near enough finished with the first draft of my latest failure and am trying to work out how much trimming is required. When I pull up the Print Preview in RoughDraft I'm being told the screenplay is 119 pages long. Fine. Then I'll move it over to a PDF and I'm told the length is now 134 pages. In Word, the screenplay is something like 130 pages.

So, the question is, which is right and which is wrong? Which number best reflects the length of my screenplay?

For the record, it's in Courier New and font size 12. That doesn't change from format to format. Do I just go with the page count in Rough Draft?

I'm a little confused.

Re: Page count...

I don't know what program you're working in, but since you'll be emailing it to folks as a PDF, I'd go with that page count (are you actually converting it and looking at it to make sure that what it's telling you is true? Did you accidentally export your notes in the body of the text?)

That is weird, though! Mine are always the same in the "computer" version and the exported PDF version.
    If you have someone on the set for the hair, why would you not have someone for the words?
    Louis Malle

Comment

I'm not familiar with this freeware RoughDraft program, but it doesn't seem like a good sign that it doesn't transfer properly to PDF.

I will tell you for certain, Microsoft Word should not be used/trusted for screenplay formatting unless you really know what you're doing to adjust it properly.

Somebody's probably already told you, but go out and purchase either Final Draft or Movie Magic and this will never be a headache again.

Comment

Or just use Celtx for the time being.

Comment

It has to do with how programs handle fonts. The line spacing is not consistent.

My advice, if you do not have a commercial screenwriting program, is to use Word or Celtx. Celtx is free.

With Word, set the line spacing at 12.5 point. (You can set it even tighter, at 12 point, but it really looks better with 12.5.)

I explain all these matters in extraordinary detail in my article on Courier fonts (PDF file), which you can find at:

http://www.rolandstroud.com/public/downloads/

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I've just downloaded Celtx. Seems like a good tool. Is there any way I can transfer my existing script (on Rough Draft) to Celtx? Anyone?

Comment

No worries. Just sussed it. Am now in the process of swapping programs.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Not familiar with Celtx or its importing capabilities. However, with PrimoPDF you should be able to export your RoughDraft script into a pdf with the exact same page count and formatting as it appears in RoughDraft.

Comment

I love Final Draft so much, I actually proposed to it.

And why not? It IS carrying a bunch of my babies.

(Alas, it said, "No." )
                  "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

Final Draft sounds like the prettiest little whore out there, but I can't afford her and don't live in the US. Just complicates things a little. I just wanna write, goddamnit. I was writing my screenplays on slate until about a month ago. I'm in the process of transferring them all over to PDF's right now - though the rain's wiped some of them clean.

Still, this Celtx thing looks kinda cool. I think I'll screw this for a little while, until Final Draft starts working my street corner.

Comment

I think I've gotten so used to writing in WORD that anything else would upset my delicate sensibilities! and it maintains format and page count when PrimoPDF'ing.
                      My first crack at a logline usually makes a great synopsis!

Comment

Right. I need some help.

I've got 123 pages in Celtx Print Preview and I've got 100 pages when I transfer it across to a Primo PDF. What's that about?

Anyone?

Comment

If you're truly serious about screenwriting, Final Draft is a modest and worthwhile investment. I used Word for a number of years and was quite happy, too, but my agent demanded I take the FD plunge.

It was totally worth it.

Look at how much time you're having to waste over figuring out page counts when you could be focused on writing -- either your screenplay or query letters to reps / producers....

Comment

Working...
                          X