Three simple words: FUN - AND - GAMES...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three simple words: FUN - AND - GAMES...

So we all know that Blake Synder wrote a few books, but I gotta admit if there's only one thing I that I take away from his books (I take away lots more than just one thing, btw, but if I had to choose...) it would be this...

FUN AND GAMES.

I like to break my specs into four - first act, second pt1, second pt2, and third act.

Before in my second act, pt1, I used to just gallop along and do my own thing.

But then after reading Blake's book(s) and seeing him simply coin that section of the spec as FUN AND GAMES, it hit home to me that yes, that section of a script is really meant to be all about FUN AND GAMES. It's meant to be the promise of the premise and it's meant to be the trailer moments of the script.

Simply put, FUN AND GAMES is how I now view that section of a script, and with full commitment and passion, try and make it stand up to these simple words.

Anyone have any "simple" moments lately where things have clicked and become easier for you and your writings overall?

EJ

Re: Three simple words: FUN - AND - GAMES...

The simple realization I had was learning that Act 2 had two different parts, and the importance of the mid-point in turning a new direction in the story. This helps prevent Act 2 from sagging, which used to be a major problem in my scripts.

Now I worry about other problems, like why the ending sucks or whatever.

Comment

I like the way Snyder states this idea. Using memorable terms like "Fun & games"/"promise of the premise" is part of the reason his book became so successful.

But I have 2 reservations...

1) in his 1st book he seems to be saying the F&G section comes at a specific point (I don't have his beat sheet in front of me so don't know exactly where.). But then in his 2nd book he analyzes movies that clearly have what he calls the F&G section at other points in the story.

2) F&G, to me, is really just another way of saying "set piece". He may give it a fancy name & specific purpose, but what he's talking about is just an old fashioned fun set piece.

The concept of fun setpieces have been around since the Keystone Cops. It's nothing new.

And Snyder only designates ONE F&G section-- in which the promise of the premise is shown. Comedies & action movies esp, have more than one "fun set piece". They have more like 5 or 6.

So if you're following Snyder's formula, don't make the mistake of thinking you (that's the general 'you') only have to come up with 1 set piece. You have to come up with several-- and they can all be ones that show the "promise of the premise".
      Last edited by Laura Reyna; 09-12-2008, 09:20 AM.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by Scripted77 View Post
        The simple realization I had was learning that Act 2 had two different parts, and the importance of the mid-point in turning a new direction in the story. This helps prevent Act 2 from sagging, which used to be a major problem in my scripts.

Yeah, the midpoint was a big one for me too.

Another biggie was OBSTACLES.

I really took a jump when i realized most of the movie after the 1st turning point consisted of a series of obstacles that the protag had to deal with. So now when I think about creating the plot, I think about coming up with interesting obstacles that get in the way.

When I started using SEQUENCES in a formal, thoughtful way was big too.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

What if your script is a downbeat character study, and the first part of the second act is your protagonist dealing with the shock of just having witnessed his best friend commit suicide?

Do you still call it Fun and Games?
          "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

No, then it's called Death and Hatred. And anger.
            Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

And killing.

Comment

Killing is a little too close to Fun and Games.
                "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

Has anybody discussed here how Snyder went to Amazon and wrote 50 5-star reviews of his own book?

I gave him a 1 star review just to try and balance it out. But I mean come on - that's shameless.

Comment

Originally posted by boski
                    I really thought that the Babylon A.D. director criticising his own film was an amazing breath of fresh air and an all too rare does of honesty--even though it'll probably cost the guy dearly in terms of career.

When it comes to marketing their films, Hollywood actors and directors are some of the most dishonest people on the planet: They almost never have a bad thing to say about their own projects.
                    I thought the reason they didn't say bad things about their movies was because they signed a contract that had a See, Speak and Hear No Evil clause?
                    826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

Can we keep it on-topic folks?

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by Scripted77 View Post

Yeah, mid-point, often overlooked and underated, but when used well, it spins your story into fresh territory that gives you the legs to finish the second half of pt2.

EJ

Comment

I don't really understand "fun and games" what would this be in something like The Dark Knight?

Comment

I'm not sure if this can be found in all movies. It's easily found in high concept comedies, but some movies get rolling from before act one.
                            what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Originally posted by Popcorntreect View Post
                              I don't really understand "fun and games" what would this be in something like The Dark Knight?
                              Fun and games is an expression, I think British, which means opening a can of worms, or things becoming complicated or difficult. It can literally mean fun and games, but as a collquialism it basically means trouble or difficulty. Example, a covert police operation goes wrong and a police lieutenant says, "Looks like we're in for fun and games."
                              "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Working...
                              X