A Script Is Like A Pizza

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Script Is Like A Pizza

    Just watched an older documentary on the newbie screenwriting world called DREAMS ON SPEC and a comment Nora Ephron tossed out has stayed with me.

    A screenplay is basically your pizza dough with just tomato sauce on it. Then the director puts on pepperoni, actors put on peppers, cinematographer puts on mushrooms, the music is the onions etc... building a whole pizza.

    In the end out of the oven, some times it tastes good, some times you may have put too much olives on or needed more pepperoni...

    You can watch the whole 85 min doc for free here

    http://snagfilms.com/films/watch/dreams_on_spec/
    "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

  • #2
    Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

    And if you leave it under a warmer too long, it becomes stale and tasteless. Tough to chew and hard to swallow.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

    My YouTube channel.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

      Ogres are like onions?

      definitely will check the doc out.
      Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

        Nora's got it wrong.

        The screenplay is the recipe, and the screenwriter decides whether the director, actors, DP, etc. should make a pizza, or a chocolate cake, or a sh*t salad.

        There are plenty of ways to get a good recipe wrong, and sometimes a really brilliant chef has the ingenuity to improve upon the recipe as written. But without a recipe, whatever you're making is probably going to be a mess.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

          If I don't improve on the second act of my fantasy comedy script it'll be more like a burrito.

          Thx for the link.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

            Great documentary. Thanks for sharing it!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

              Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
              Nora's got it wrong.

              The screenplay is the recipe, and the screenwriter decides whether the director, actors, DP, etc. should make a pizza, or a chocolate cake, or a sh*t salad.

              There are plenty of ways to get a good recipe wrong, and sometimes a really brilliant chef has the ingenuity to improve upon the recipe as written. But without a recipe, whatever you're making is probably going to be a mess.
              Yeah. It sounds like a movie is like a pizza, not a screenplay.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

                A screenplay is like a box of sweating TNT you're transporting over a bad road in South America....

                Or maybe a box of chocolates.

                - Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

                  Ever gone to bed with a pizza cook?

                  Their skin smells of yeast.

                  Ok, that doesn't have anything to do with screenwriting
                  but neither does pizza.
                  myhomeconvalesceblog

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

                    Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                    A screenplay is like a box of sweating TNT you're transporting over a bad road in South America....
                    SORCERER -- now that's a movie they need to show on TV again instead of the 616th consecutive showing of Chain Reaction, Predator, Die Hard 3...

                    AMC, Bravo, A&E, Spike, TV Land, Turner (not Turner Classics) must die...
                    "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

                      See also: WAGES OF FEAR and VIOLENT ROAD.

                      - Bill
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

                        My screenplay is like a white castle slider.
                        The end is too damn nigh.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

                          So does the fact that I like double anchovy pizzas explain my marketability problem?

                          I also go for spinach/feta/olive or BBQ chicken... alas.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

                            Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                            See also: WAGES OF FEAR and VIOLENT ROAD.

                            - Bill
                            Wages of Fear is great. Except for that one chick with hairy arm pits.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: A Script Is Like A Pizza

                              Originally posted by J off course View Post
                              Ever gone to bed with a pizza cook?

                              Their skin smells of yeast.

                              Ok, that doesn't have anything to do with screenwriting
                              but neither does pizza.
                              You know, there's easier ways to get free toppings.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X