Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article on Adaptations...

By Craig Mazin - Taken from Artful Writer.

The trend seems inescapable. Studios are obsessed with adaptations. The movie business, which used to be powered by original screenplays, is now concerned mostly with converting pre-existing works into films. If it isn’t a comic book, graphic novel, book, foreign film or video game, well…no one’s interested.

That’s the conventional wisdom, at least.

But is it true?

I don’t have any statistics to back the claim up, but let’s stipulate that everyone’s gut sense is true: studios are more motivated to fund adaptations than they are originals.

It’s nothing new, of course. Movie studios have always chased best-sellers and Broadway musicals, but as culture grows around itself, the movies inspire books that inspire movies that inspire musicals that become CD’s that become movies.

That’s how John Waters can write an original film called Hairspray that becomes a musical called Hairspray that becomes a film of the musical called Hairspray.

Fair enough.

But why are the studios so attracted to adaptations?
    Here are some theories (with attendant debunking).

http://artfulwriter.com/?p=540
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM. Reason: Please remember to only post a couple of paragraphs and link to the rest.
    @TerranceMulloy

Re: Interesting article on Adaptations...

While this is an interesting article, I am on e who disagrees with the concept that the "adaptation fever" is something new. Hell, Casablanca was an adaptation. Most of the "greatest films" we all look up to were adaptations. Hollywood has always done a boatload of adaptations. I don't think that has changed at all. We still have big time tentpole spec sales (Deja Vu, Hancock), and we still have adaptations. It's just the way the system has always worked.
    For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
    Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Comment

I agree with Jonny. The history of American (and European, for that matter) cinema is built on adaptations, to a large degree.

Comment

Wow, does that mean I'm ahead of the curve by adapting my own novel?

My story is backwards though, I'm trying to get something to screen so the novel will sell more copies!

I think that good stories, in any form, will always be sought after.... but sometimes it does take a unique combination to get people to notice.
        Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyAtlas View Post
          I don't think that has changed at all. We still have big time tentpole spec sales (Deja Vu, Hancock), and we still have adaptations. It's just the way the system has always worked.
          Perhaps, but you can't deny the recent influx of adaptations that are making it to celluloid.

Lately, there seems to be more and more adaptations being made. Sure, original specs are still sold, but just how many are greenlit?

Not many.
          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I was just about to argue that there are also several pooch scripts making their way to the big screen -- until I realized Marley & Me is, itself, based on a book.
            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyAtlas View Post
              While this is an interesting article, I am on e who disagrees with the concept that the "adaptation fever" is something new. Hell, Casablanca was an adaptation. Most of the "greatest films" we all look up to were adaptations. Hollywood has always done a boatload of adaptations. I don't think that has changed at all. We still have big time tentpole spec sales (Deja Vu, Hancock), and we still have adaptations. It's just the way the system has always worked.
              Yes, Mickey Mouse was an adaptation, Wizard of Oz was an adaptation, 2001 A Space Odyssey was an adaptation. Cold Mountain, No Country For Old Men etc. and etc.
              "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

I've read that it's a cyclical thing --- in some years scripts are more prevalent than adaptations and then it switches back. Adaptations cost more to develop initially but a script is ready to go.
                Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

I think it also has to do with the dearth of good quality original screenplays - ones that are creative, entertaining, and marketable. It's very hard to come up with a solid, well plotted screenplay. At least with an adaptation, you usually have a solid concept (that has sold pretty well) to start with.

I think the industry is looking for anything good they can get their hands on, and adaptations is a solid source of potential stories.

Comment

When it comes to screenwriters, there are far more film buffs than bookworms among us. It shows in the scripts and query letters that get tossed out. I think that's the crux right there.
                    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Working...
                    X