Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greek Chorus

I'm re-writing an old script and wanted to get an opinion on this.

In my story I have 3 major storylines occurring concurrently. And each of the storylines has a type of "Greek Chorus- where another character comments to camera on the lives of the main character in each storyline. These are characters who are mentioned throughout the film by the main characters, but they do not appear in the film per se (other than delivering their comments to camera a few times through-out the film). It's a comedy.

So, here's my dilemma. Can one of the 3 Greek Chorus characters be a dead guy? He dies before the start of the movie, but his shadow looms large upon the characters in one particular storyline. Would it be too weird, even for a comedy, if 2 of the chorus are living, and one is dead?

PS....the 3 only appear individually on screen, talking to camera...never as a group.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Re: The Greek Chorus

I think you can definitely make this work so long as it's apparent they they are above/outside the action of the story. A good director could come up with some cool visuals to set them apart or transition them in or out.

Cool stuff.
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Thanks Kitchona,

I'm directing, actually....so I have it all worked out. My concern is that having 1 dead person speaking to camera would add a layer of surrealism, (or is it magic realism?) to the film, and it might corrupt the realism I'm trying to achieve in the storylines.

Comment

Heya RGF,

The only time I don't like Dead Dudes talking, is when they're narrating throughout the film & then we find out that they've been dead...Tom Horn & Fallen come to mind...Pi$$es me off big time.

So I don't think I'd have a problem with it unless the Live Dudes are talking about the Dead Dude as if he were still alive.

Question. Does the Dead Dude comment about the current action, or only about what happened before he died?

And if it's the current action, is there any sense that he's in a sort of holding pattern, delaying his eventual destination until he sees how the whole thing works out? Sorta like "Hang on St. Pete, be right with ya, I just wanna see how this works out?"

Jes' wonderin'

Midnite

Originally posted by RGF View Post
        Thanks Kitchona,

I'm directing, actually....so I have it all worked out. My concern is that having 1 dead person speaking to camera would add a layer of surrealism, (or is it magic realism?) to the film, and it might corrupt the realism I'm trying to achieve in the storylines.

Comment

Thanks Midnite. You bring up a good point I hadn't looked at deeply enough. The live Greek Chorus Dudes comment on the character & personalities of their main dudes with a little bit of subtle commentary on plot developments. However, the dead Greek Chorus Dude only comments on the character of his former friend. He doesn't comment on what's going on in the script. Which, I think, is a smarter road to follow.

And, yes, everyone knows he's dead right from the first scene. Not trying any deceptive twist here. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Working...
          X