Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Have You Outlined

before writing? In terms of length of time. Days, weeks, so forth.
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Re: How Long Have You Outlined

A day or two. I write everything out in detail. Then I go scene by scene by scene. Usually takes about 3 days to flesh out an idea.
    I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Days!? Weeks!? This one's gonna take at least six months. No offence but what turgid rubbish are you guys knocking out?
      A lovely being, scarcely formed or moulded,
      A rose with all its sweetest leaves yet folded.

Comment

I don't normally sit down with the intention to outline. When I do, I figure out the main action of each sequence and write it down with little detail. Then I flesh it out in my head throughout the day or next few days and then add to what I had written before. I do this with every sequence (about 15 total by my system) until I have enough to start a first draft. This process takes me anywhere from 2 weeks to a year, depending on how pumped I am about a particular idea, as well as my real world schedule.

Comment

I've never outlined... or at least not since 1990 when I was working on my first novel. The outline was pretty bad, the story that I wrote ignored what I outlined and I'm glad for that.

Not saying that this method is right for everybody, but to me outlines are for book reports or non-fiction. Good fiction should keep the writer inventing and moving the narrative along based on the story's natural life. If you preconceive that Plot Point A= X action at Y time, you may miss out on some great developement that bubbles up from the dark recesses of your creative mind.
          Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

The current script I am working on took me a little over two months to outline. It got really complicated in parts because time travel is involved, so I had to get years and days very precise. It became very stressful when I hit the back half of the film. I had to draw out diagrams with arrows just to make sure I had things right. It was a horrific experience, and by the time I got to actually writing the damn script I was raring to go so much that I wrote the first 60 pages in 3 days. It took be another 3 months after that to finish the first draft. Now I am on the rewrites...

In all I expect I will have spent about six and a half months on this one script.

Nevertheless...an outline is a very important tool,. and I highly recommend that one uses it to the utmost. It makes the writing process quite a bit simpler. If I hadn't outlines my script and had gone straight into the draft, I would have never been able to finish it.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Months. I usually like to do a 20 to 25 page treatment before I write anything.

If I have a good outline I can do a solid first draft in under a week.

Comment

As long as it takes.

Hard to put it into days, since every script is different.

On an assignment where I have to turn in a detailed 15 page treatment that will be the script, well - I quaff a lot of coffee and work at it until that outline completely works, then I take it to treatment. If I only have a week from starter pistol to turning in the treatment, I spend most of that week on the outline - then take 2 days to pound out the treatment (and tweak it). I want to make sure that it works well enough that when they fire the starter pistol for the script, I can write it and hand it in and they can make a movie from it - and the money they spend on that movie won't be wasted.

Without a hard deadline and millions at stake? Well, as long as it takes.

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Yeah, I ask because there have been many times when I started to outline and then got bored and just dived into the first draft -- with "I told you so" results. I can't seem to resist the temptation of just writing the damn thing once I have a concept. And it comes to bite me in the ass later.

What are questions you guys and gals ask yourself when you outline?
                  "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                  -Maya Angelou

Comment

I outline in my head because I'm too cheap to buy paper.

I have the fear that by writing an outline I will limit my imagination when writing the script. I prefer freestyle.
                    TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

It's not the easiest thing constructing an outline for something you're going to write. I have always been putting together outlines for published books.

Yet, it's something that has to be done to prevent myself from going beserk.
                      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

McKee suggests - with an idea I heartily endorse - that the writer spend 80% of his time researching and outlining. It's actually by far the most creative way to work, as you can work and rework every scene many different ways, ultimately mining the gold you might have overlooked. For example, you might get halfway through a "freestyle" draft and come up with a far superior first act - and yet, because you've put in all the work of writing a freestyle first act, you won't even try it, because you don't want to feel the work has been for naught.
                        Script a Wish. With powerful screenplay notes and Hollywood contacts, we get your work polished, read, repped, and bought.

Comment

Day #1 - Outline numbered sections from 1 to 90 at least.
                          Day #2 - Write 20 pages
                          Day #3 - Rewrite those 20 pages. Write additional 30 pages.
                          Day #4 - Rewrite those combined 50 pages. Write additional 30 pages.
                          Day #5 - Rewrite those combined 80 pages. Write additional 20 pages.
                          Day #6 - Rewrite those combined 100 pages. Write the ending of Act 3.
                          Day #7 - Rewrite the whole screenplay and polish.

Sometimes I don't even do an outline until I am halfway through the script. It all varies on the story.

Comment

Originally posted by DBense18 View Post
                            Day #1 - Outline numbered sections from 1 to 90 at least.
                            Day #2 - Write 20 pages
                            Day #3 - Rewrite those 20 pages. Write additional 30 pages.
                            Day #4 - Rewrite those combined 50 pages. Write additional 30 pages.
                            Day #5 - Rewrite those combined 80 pages. Write additional 20 pages.
                            Day #6 - Rewrite those combined 100 pages. Write the ending of Act 3.
                            Day #7 - Rewrite the whole screenplay and polish.

Sometimes I don't even do an outline until I am halfway through the script. It all varies on the story.
                            Wow. If I manage to write 5-10 pages in 1 day I'm physically and emotionally exhausted.
                            @PatriotFrames

Comment

Outline in my head. May outline during or after to check that logic is running ok. But it changes, flexible.
                              Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Working...
                              X