• Show
Clear All

Re: Describing Facial Expressions

WritebyNight's cheekbones loosen.
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Comment

I let the actors figure out what to do with their faces, and come up with *actions* to show the emotions. Characters can turn away, or take a step back or *do something* that shows how they feel.

I always imagine I'm writing a script for Buster Keaton - who never changes his facial expression... he just does things.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Moderation is key when it comes to those things. But also a firm command of vocabulary and literal imagery. If the Story flows well, one should not have to insert too many frowns and grimaces and gasps.

The best scripts make US do that.
        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

RoadWarr - well said, I suppose my point is that some writers don't even bother or care if their usage is correct or not, I suppose in the end, it's all about whether or not it works, though I think my high school English Lit teacher would disagree, lol.

Comment

No, no ... I'm right there with your High School English teacher Charlie, it all matters. I was just running on from your post and arguing for a little flexibility.

It's great when you have teachers like that, isn't it.

I've heard about these actors who would be taken aback by such details, I assumed they'd just ignore any acting directions anyway, same for directors, and that it would be taken as no more than an indication of the character's drivers, throw a little light on what they're are like. Illuminate the script.

Talking illumination here, no more.
            Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

I don't describe facial expressions.

If I write the scene well, the reader will see those faces anyway.

Overwriting takes energy out of the flow.

I'd only mention a facial expression, if:
              1. It's typical for a character (like a twitch, or a habit)
              2. If it's a reaction that is not in sync of what one would expect (deputy sees widow to inform her she's a widow, and she smiles.).
              "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

Working...
              X