About that art never being finished thing...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: About that art never being finished thing...

Originally posted by reddery View Post
    Seems like, with experience that you do fewer drafts.

not sure if that's true for everyone?
    Well, I expect it probably is, and the reason is that we get better at it so our first drafts are better and require less development to get them done.

It was certainly true fo me. I went from needing ten drafts to doing three or four. One learns what it takes to be productive and to get things done. Not starting with an incomplete story is one of the most important.

Writer's who find themselves in rewrite hell are usually in a heavy learning mode. Either that or they didn't craft their story sufficiently and proceeded to scripting before it was fully worked out. So all their rewriting just reflects the fact they're learning as they go or they failed to develop their story to a sufficient degree in the first place.

But once a given level of competence has been achieved, this tends to disappear from the regimen and three or four drafts do the trick.

On the other hand, there's an old saying among screenwriters, "They're never done..."

Yet I agree that learning when they're done is a crucial part of knowing the craft. One thing that can greatly accelerate one's ability to get things done is to get an assignment and to face the deadlines thereof. In that situation, you simply have to get it done by a date certain, and that greatly energizes learning how to do it. Ask anyone who's ever written for television, those folks know all about it because it's deadline city in that world.

Comment

Working...
    X