Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Thesaurus (Thesauri?) and Companion Book

What are everyone's favourite Thesauri? How many do you own? What unique ones do you have?

Also, what are your favorite research/enclodpedia/writer's companion books?

I've got only 5 thesaurus. The one I find most useful is Roget's Super Thesaurus. The most unique one is The Thesaurus of Slang by Esther Lewin.

My favorite research book is The Writer's Companion by Louis Rubin. I also like A World of Ideas by Chris Rohmann, the World Almanac, What Are The Seven Wonders of the World by Peter D'Epiro, and Dictionary of Symbolism by Hans Biedermann.

Tom

Microsoft bookshelf CD completely loaded on my hard drive - fast and slick.

Comment

www.thesaurus.com/

Comment

Good idea, Steeves. Thanks, I'll look into it and other CD options. Never thought of it before. I hope all is well over there in the Gulf.

Petrodon, I'll have to consider having a few links. Thanks for your input. Have a good day.

Anyone else have their favorites?

Tom

Comment

Am I the only one who likes the feel of a real book? Actually enjoys going to the library? Bringing home a whole armful of those magical things? Opening each one with excitement and anticipation?

I can't afford to buy them at the moment, but book stores and hardware stores used to be my downfall.

Not a thesaurus, but a small volume I've had for years. Quick spelling check, lists mainly words that are commonly misspelled or confused. Would recommend it to several here. (wink) "Look It Up" Rudolf Flesch. I believe it is still available.

lil

Comment

$%#@!!&^#%*

The Random House Thesaurus Of Slang.

Very helpful with dialogue, especially when you need just the right euphemism for f***.

Comment

Lil,
              Ouch! Here I thought you liked me.

BTW I do prefer books over online sources. There's something to be said for flipping through pages. However, online sources are often free or at least cheaper. Damn books are expensive these days and a trip to the library breaks the rhythm you might be in.

Tom

Comment

Oh, Tom-Tom, I wasn't trying to ouch you.

lil

Comment

I was teasing, Lil. (Platonic Smooch)

Tom

Comment

www.yourdictionary.com

Comment

what about a *poetic* dictionary??

I've always wanted to find a dictionary of words that poets would find useful; *just* poetic prose types, not all the other stuff.... any clues? Or am I nuts to think there's such a thing?

gryff.

Comment

to Lil: real books vs. MS Bookshelf

IMHO, MS Bookshelf (preferably copied completely to hard disk or always resident in your CD drive, is MANDATORY EQUIPMENT for any PC or Mac-based writer, be you a poet, a playwright, a screenwriter, a novelist or a biographer.

I can only begin to relate the difference in efficiency between these two choice by analogy: would you rather communicate with us online or by US Post?

This single CD product(takes up 640mb of disk space) gives me a dictionary, a thesauras, a book of quotes, an encylopedia, an atlas, AND an almanac, with *fast* fulltext searching, detailed links and idiot-proof navigation. Obviously the dic&thes are the most used and most important but the others can be handy.

Basically it lets me find what I am looking for, fast, often when I didn't always realise *exactly* what I am looking for. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED... and no, I own none of their stocks, thanks for asking.

btw, I also have a full blown DVD-based Compton's encyclopeia, dict. and thes. but find the MS deal more complete, a *lot* faster and with a much better interface.

Comment

Working...
                        X