Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Sequence and Scene

As I understood things, a screenplay is broken into Acts, which are broken into Sequences, which are broken into Scenes.

Is this not correct?

Re: Difference between Sequence and Scene

That's right. When you tell someone about a movie you've seen, the quickest way is to give us a logline that tells us how a certain main character with a certain problem struggles against certain difficulties to achieve a certain goal. That gives us the basic action of the whole three acts - the character with a problem at the beginning, the struggle in the middle, and ending when the problem is resolved.

The longest way to tell the story of the movie would be to explain what happens in every single scene. But we don't usually do that, because it would take too long, and we probably don't remember every single scene anyway. What we do remember are the eight or so big sequences in the movie. These sequences are series of scenes that belong together and form a section of the movie. There's the section of the movie where Shrek is in the swamp, there's the sequence where he's competing in tournaments at the castle, the sequence where he's struggling to cross the bridge, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by yeehi View Post
      As I understood things, a screenplay is broken into Acts, which are broken into Sequences, which are broken into Scenes.

Is this not correct?
      ... and Scenes are broken into Shots.

An example is the "Get the band back together" sequence in The Blues Brothers.

The series of scenes where Jake and Elwood visit several former band members are related to that common objective.

Now, here's where it gets fun:
      An Act can be one Sequence.
      A Sequence can be one Scene.
      A Scene can be one Shot.

Some believe that a Scene can be made up of several locations - each with their own SLUG - to achieve an objective. Not me, I'm a one scene = one location kind of guy.

Back to the Blues Brothers example. In each Scene of the Sequence Jake and Elwood need to achieve an objective - unique to that Scene - before they can move on. Put all those Scenes together with the "mini" objectives and the overall objective is solved.
      "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
      - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Originally posted by yeehi View Post

Is this not correct?
        That's correct. A scene is a series of shots that all take place in the same location at one time. The scene of the family arguing at the dinner table. The scene of the kids telling ghost stories around the campfire. The best friends walking through the mall. A sequence, on the other hand, is a series of scenes that fit together to create a larger, well, sequence.

In THE HANGOVER, the hospital "sequence" involves them talking to the doctor when he's examining the old guy, continuing to talk to him out in the hallway, etc. In THE DARK KNIGHT, the "sequence" of the Batmobile chase involves several different scenes... Joker firing rockets at the police transport, batmobile crashing, batpod ejecting, batpod tripping up the Joker's truck... etc., all of which tie together into one big sequence.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalScribe View Post
          That's correct. A scene is a series of shots that all take place in the same location at one time.
          That's one interpretation. However, if two characters start a conversation in a kitchen, then move outside, then hop in the car and continue that same conversation, well that's still one scene in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post

Some believe that a Scene can be made up of several locations - each with their own SLUG - to achieve an objective. Not me, I'm a one scene = one location kind of guy.
            It's a more literal, mechanistic definition appropriate to an assistant director or production designer than it is for a story designer. Then again, having the term isn't particularly useful.

What IS useful is to know that a scene is ABOUT something. There's a purpose to it. A point. If two characters begin a conversation inside, but don't finish it there, and don't come to the point until they're somewhere else, how useful is it to say that the beginning of the conversation is one scene, and the resolution of it is another?

Comment

Originally posted by dgl View Post
              That's one interpretation. However, if two characters start a conversation in a kitchen, then move outside, then hop in the car and continue that same conversation, well that's still one scene in my book.
              ... well that's poorly written scenes in my book.

You need to choose your locations as carefully as your Action and Dialogue.

Why is it necessary to move the conversation to the outside and the car? What do those locations add to what's happening? If nothing then what's the point - keep the conversation (I hope you mean conflict) in the kitchen.
              - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

... well that's poorly written scenes in my book.

You need to choose your locations as carefully as your Action and Dialogue.

Why is it necessary to move the conversation to the outside and the car? What do those locations add to what's happening? If nothing then what's the point - keep the conversation (I hope you mean conflict) in the kitchen.
                I actually thought your reply was a joke for a moment, but I think you're serious.

So would you say that every scene (or whatever you want to call it) in the West Wing that included a walk and talk from one room, down the hallway, and into the oval office, was simply bad filmmaking?

Or do you consider all interiors to be one location, and exteriors a separate location?

What of the steadicam which is often used to follow characters from one location to another?
                Last edited by dgl; 08-03-2009, 11:47 AM. Reason: poor grammar

Comment

... So would you say that every scene (or whatever you want to call it) in the West Wing that included a walk and talk from one room, down the hallway, and into the oval office, was simply bad filmmaking?

... What of the steadicam which is often used to follow characters from one location to another?
                  Why the hallway? What is it about the hallway that is different than either office? It can be very subtle. Does a character pause or whisper to not be overheard? Does a character talk louder to be overheard? Is one character being lead by the other to the oval office? Are thy both trying to be first to burst through the door? If it is nothing and the conversation could have continued in the office, then yes, it is poorly written.

I'm sure there are many thousands more Sequences where the "conflict-less" transitional scene is omitted.

Interesting question though: Does filming a poorly constructed scene constitute bad film-making?
                  - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Sweet Jeebus, Brad!!! I hope the logic in your screenplays is more unassailable than what you've presented here.

Quick question:

During that long steadicam shot in Goodfellas where we follow Ray Liotta traveling into a club from outside, through the kitchen, until he eventually arrives at his table (or whever he ends up) -- where does one scene end and the next begin for you?

In Point Break, during the fast-paced foot chase through alleyways and in and out of people's homes -- where would you say one scene ended and the next began?

Comment

During that long steadicam shot in Goodfellas where we follow Ray Liotta traveling into a club from outside, through the kitchen, until he eventually arrives at his table (or whever he ends up) -- where does one scene end and the next begin for you?
                      I consider it one scene in the story sense but I'm sure this is one of those debatable things.

And it's one scene within the "Karen & Henry hook up & marry" sequence (in terms of the OP's question on sequences).
                      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Ask me for my comments about how they are written in the spec screenplays - not in the completed movie.

Since I don't have access to either script, could you show how they appear in the script?

I would guess (as in expect) if they are detailed all then they are probably in some sort of montage form.

Or, in the "chase down the bad-guy" sequence, if the chase is broken down with separate Scene Headings it is to indicate the minor conflicts (with vehicles, people, things, animals, injuries) unique and characteristic to each location that must be resolved before the overriding (sequence) objective can be accomplished.

If they run through a house without dealing with the housewife or simply run across the street without almost getting hit then they are poorly written scenes.
                        - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Why the hallway? What is it about the hallway that is different than either office? It can be very subtle. Does a character pause or whisper to not be overheard? Does a character talk louder to be overheard? Is one character being lead by the other to the oval office? Are thy both trying to be first to burst through the door? If it is nothing and the conversation could have continued in the office, then yes, it is poorly written.
                          They do this because film is visual and walking and talking is more visually interesting than just two people talking in an office. Look at just about any Woody Allen film. He has long, intricately blocked scenes where characters are talking to each other as they move on and off camera, in and out of different rooms of a house, standing then sitting, fiddling around in the kitchen etc. Sometimes it will all of a sudden dawn on you as you're watching such a scene that this is one long take, that there haven't been any cuts, and it's like, wow. You miss out on a lot of close-up shots with that approach, it's totally a question of stylistic preference, but it's a valid approach. Plus obvsiouly you don't have to have every scene in a film shot this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                            They do this because film is visual and walking and talking is more visually interesting than just two people talking in an office. ...
                            I thought that in a TV series, if it is a poorly-written scene (as I describe it) and they go ahead and film it, it's because it's easy to. All the equipment and sets are already set up and not broken down from taping to taping.

If I am the screenwriter of a one-time feature picture "West Wing" and the director asks me why he needs to set-up in the hallway, I sure better have a better answer than, "The hallway leads to the Oval Office".
                            - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Ask me for my comments about how they are written in the spec screenplays - not in the completed movie.

Since I don't have access to either script, could you show how they appear in the script?
                              I thought we were talking about scenes and sequences in general, not scenes and sequences in screenplays versus scenes and sequences in films. Are they different things?

If the long steadicam shot that I mentioned of Ray entering the club IS broken down using separate slugs, is that different than if it were written as:

I/E. CLUB

Ray enters from outside, makes his way through kitchen, and finds his table in the main room.

(That's not from the script -- haven't seen it in years, and I'm sure they did it much better than that.)

And this isn't quibbling. Your fundamental argument is this:

"Some believe that a Scene can be made up of several locations - each with their own SLUG - to achieve an objective. Not me, I'm a one scene = one location kind of guy."

It's more useful to a writer to think of a scene as having to accomplish something (or "achieve an objective"). You don't agree, fine. But to argue that it's poor writing to have characters moving through multiple locations during what I call a scene (and what I believe by logical inference you would call a sequence of scenes) is indefensible in light of the innumerable films and television series that do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X