Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research

What are some of the techniques and resources that you guys use to research agents or production companies?

It seems that some of us are querying hoping somebody will bite and then when someone does they try to find out more information about that company. Would that be the best way to go it so as to not waste time researching someone who sends you a reject letter or nothing at all?

The only resource I know how to use is the Done Deal sales list and the WGA web site. I've tried reading Variety but I guess I missed something because as far as agents and production companies I didn't get much information. Did I miss something? Forgive my ignorance, I'm learning. And hopefully if I can learn some new techniques you won't have to see anymore post (from me anyways) asking does anyone know anything about ***?

Thanks

Ursula

Resources

Ursula, don't apologise - a lot of us here are learning. There are various internet sites that deal with prodcos/agents. Most of them require $$$ to join, but apparently, if you want to make it in Hollywood, knowing this stuff is vital.

Hollywoodlitsales.com has a listing of producers looking for material - but they acknowledge themselves that they can't vouch for the bona fides of the prodcos. They've also got a section on sales by agent and prodcos stretching back 10 years, but that requires registration. (Altho they have a free trial version thereof)

Check out the Hollywood Creative directory site - www.hcdonline.com. They're expensive, but they have detailed listings on prodcos, agents, international film buyers and so on. Apparently they're the best?

Also check out www.inhollywood.com. They've got a powerful data base search engine to give details of prodcos and agents and when I last checked had a free trail period. Done Deal has the sales listing as you mentioned, so does www.moviebytes.com, also requiring a registration fee.

www.imdb.com has a powerful database that lets you search by title of film, actor, director, writer etc. etc.

There are plenty of other sites out there - screenwritersutopia, screenwriterscyberia, screenwritersmarkets and on and on. I've checked a lot of them out and this one's the best IMHO. Certainly when it comes to message boards, done deal rules.

Comment

Re: Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to break it down for me. I'll definitely look into those search engines.

Do you usually research then send queries or send queries and research? Just a little group survey.

Comment

Research first. Query second. You should know who you are querying and why you want to work with them. If you don't and do it backwards, you will find yourself in the awkward position of not wanting to send material to people you specifically asked for a read -- that is hard to negotiate gracefully. And you will slow down the process of sending out scripts because each time someone asks for one you will be running around trying to find out who this person is. Well, you should have known before you asked them to read you. Then you could have put the script in the mail with no qualms when they asked for it, instead of three weeks later after they have forgotten what interested them in the script in the first place.

Comment

Girlin Gray,

I thought so. I admitt that I have been guilty of printing the list of agents and randomly querying without knowing who they were. But when I got my first request and scampered for information on this agent before sending the material I decided research first would make the process easier on me and save me some postage.

Anyone else?

Thanks
          Ursula

Comment

When you are researching agents, another good resource is "The Script is Finished, Now What Do I Do?" by K.Callen. (I think it is Callen, it might be Callan.) She interviews agents from different agencies and has small snippets of the interviews in the book which gives you a feel for different agencies and agents. There is also s "Directory of Writers" put out by the Guild that lists writers and their representatives so you can look up which agencies/agents are repping which writers.

Comment

GIG, you make me wanna be a better man.

Comment

Lately I've been feeling like I need an assistant to get an agent. Researching the business as a whole is the hardest part of the job of screenwriting. I'll take a look at that book. The Writer's Market 2000 gives you a little information on some agents and production companies too. I checked in there. I just want to make sure when I get that, "I'm interested in representing you," response that I am confident that the person will do my career some good and not harm. I read some horror stories about how the wrong agent can get your script black listed from several production companies before you even realize that they aren't the right agent for you.

PPPC

Comment

Aww, Zee.

Smooch!

Comment

Get thee to a room, ya smoochers.

Hmm sounds like a line from a song.

*** breaking out the kazoo****

Comment

Resources

Also check out "Writer's guide to Hollywood Producers, Directors and Screenwriter's Agents" by Skip Press. It's a little dated now and I think he's working on the next edition, but he lists a bunch of prodcos and agents who may be receptive to new writers. I got my agent through his book. And the nice thing about it is once you purchase his book, Skip is quite accessible - you can email him with queries and he has a monthly newsletter with all sorts of info and tips.

Comment

Skip's a puss

Don't get me started on that "Skip Press" guy, if that is his real name. His book is absolutely awful. Read the numerous negative customer reviews on Amazon.

The contact information is completely obsolete. I actually informed Skippy that his book was outdated and that he should update it because he was screwing newbies (like a phone book with wrong numbers). His reaction: accused me of being an internet troll with a competing book and tried to get my internet service to cancel my account for a "harassing e-mail."

Not only is his book outdated, but it also has ridiculously useless stories of Skip's "successes." Like the time he and his family saw Danny Devito in a restaurant, and Devito said hi. Skip writes, "Yeah, Danny really liked my script, but he told me he didn't have the time to help me fix it." Right.

And by the way, if Skip's an "insider," how come he hasn't sold anything?

Comment

Ouch!

Zeeman, you're a popular guy on this site and hey, that's all well and good. You're funny and your opinions are often thoughtful and helpful. But in the end, they're only opinions, just like mine. You've had bad experiences with Skip Press (and I concede it's a helluva name) I haven't. You've gotta accept that a book that lists prodcos' and agents' details published in 1998 is gonna be outdated within a few months. Hollywood's a fluid beast, people change positions all the time, companies change affiliations too. I bought a copy of the HCD published in 1999, a good percentage of the details in that have changed subsequent to publication. That's to be expected with all directory type books, it's the nature of the beast.

But Press's book was a great help to me, it got me an agent and several 'yes' responses to email queries. More than that, Press's newsletter is current and contains info about players, whether you want to accept that or not. The last edition, for example, had the contact people, addresses and emails of the prodcos for Nicolas Cage, Matt Damon/Ben Affleck and Robert Duval. Whether you want to accept it or not, he's pretty well respected in the industry and each month he has listings of prodcos/agents prepared to read scripts.

I'm real sorry he gave you a hard time when you emailed the man, but maybe your tone was along the lines of "Skip's a puss" and maybe he didn't appreciate that.

And I stand corrected on the following, as the info does come from the book, but apparently Press sold 2 feature films, had many more properties optioned, and was hired to write several screenplays. He's written tons of books, articles and CD-roms, has taught at the UCLA Extension Writers Program, chaired panels at the Hollywood Film Festival, apeared as a featured speaker at writers conferences around the states, edited "Entertainment Monthly" and so on.

Seems to me that makes him some sort of insider. But then again, that's just my opinion, Mr Z.

Comment

Well, Skip still is a puss

Is that you, Skip? Kidding, wannabe. I'm not talking about the 1998 version of his book. I'm talking about the one that has the year 2000 on it. Maybe we're talking about different books. Who knows? You like the guy; I don't. That's cool.

To the others out there, just beware anyone who calls himself an insider and sells a book. You may be better off buying something from someone who's sold a script turned into an actual film, like some of the writers on this board. You know who I'm talking about.

Comment

Ouch again

Same book, Mr Z, full title "Writer's Guide to Hollywood Producers, Directors and Screenwriter's Agents 1999 - 2000" but the copyright symbols indicates a 1998 publication. Skip Press makes a living as a writer, as do I (albeit a modest one and centred in my own country). Do you (and I just know I'm going to have to eat crow for this last question)?

And as to your warning to others, you say: "You may be better off buying something from someone who's sold a script turned into an actual film, like some of the writers on this board. You know who I'm talking about."

Well, I don't know who you're talking about...but I would love to. I work part time at a bookstore (not for the money - in case you want to use this as ammo to dispute my assertion that I make a living from writing - but for the company of others and the resources available to me). I'd love to know who, so maybe I can order the book - I've pretty much read everyone out there and am always looking for new reads. And hey, if you're the author, cool, gives me even more reason to want to order and read the book. (perhaps while eating humble pie?)

Comment

Working...
                              X