No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Titles

Good Evening Everyone!

Just a quick question: if you decide to change the title of your screnplay after it's registered (or copyrighted) but before you send out the queries, do you have to notify the WGA or anything along those lines? Thanks in advance to any and all who respond.

PsyDoc

I have no idea. But are you really a doctor cause I have this little celphane problem and maybe you can help me out!

Comment

Thanks for the response Tina, and yes I am a doctor (a psychologist actually) by day, screenwriter by night (or lunch break or any time I can fit it in I suppose...)

Comment

Re: changing titles

Unless you make a major change to your story, I don't think you have to worry. It's not the title that has the copyright, it's the content (or the expression of the content).
        To be sure, I'd visit the WGA & copyright office websites and get true poop there.

Chris

Comment

you won't give any of us an MMPI willya?

Back to reveiwing the DSM V... kosk

Comment

Re: changing titles

That's what I was thinking too Smart, and the suggestion about checking with the WGA is a good one - thanks!

PsyDoc

Comment

Worried I might find out something, Ksk2?

PsyDoc

Comment

Oh - you'll definitely find something with Kosk! Of course I have no idea what it is ya'll are talking about.

Back to my problem....(hello...I have tongue strain here...I know, I will go to the dentist already!)

Comment

(Joe Bob voice): Well, Doc,

at least you won't find any "spikes", if ya know what I mean, and I think you do..."

Glad you joined us muh man...

"What's up @#%$cat? Whoaaaahhhhhhh-whoah-whoahhhhhoohhhhhhh...."

Comment

Well to re-register under the new title I am pretty sure you are going to have to cough up more money and re-register the whole thing, so if the story has stayed pretty much the same I wouldn't do it, the Guild has a copy on record and it will be pretty obvious it is the same story just under a different title. Copyright, I don't know about. You could check with the U.S. Copyright office, but probably again, to copyright under a new title you would probably just have to do it over again with a new fee.

Comment

PsyDoc-warning

Do not take Kosk on in even a brief consult. It will deconstruct everything you have ever learned or believe in. We believe he is a one of a kind, thank god!

OK, Kosk, there, you've missed me picking on you and tried to start something several times. Careful, the wee ones are starting to make you less understandable again.

lilybet

Comment

PsyDoc

PsyDoc? That sounds like a Pokemon character.

Anyway, being a psychologist and all, are you incorporating thinly disguised versions of your patients in your screenplays? Tsk, tsk.

Comment

PsyDoc

Lilybet:

Talking about Psydoc, what do you know about Luis Valdez?

Zup Dog

Comment

Re: PsyDoc-warning

Oh, no, Lil. I'm NOT being obstruse. For someone in Psy-Doc's field, he/she knows EXACTLY what I mean by DSM V, MMPI, and the "spikes" that occur in such tests. Just like Psy-Doc knows how many "spikes" occur in the results from the tests given to people like Devo's and Prod's.

Which means (no sarcasm tendered) Psy also has an advantage when pitching...

(Joe-Bob voice): "--If ya know what I mean, and I think that ya do..."

So, Psy, have you had a good belly laugh over the comments RE Freud in a previous thread? The one Tone started? Since you probably know what Freud was trying to *really* do/achieve before he got on the bad side of academia?

Those turn of the century academicians... Not the best candidtates for baby-sitting jobs, ay?

But I have a gut instinct that says you *do* know exactly what I'm "rambling about"...

Glad you're here. Personal invite to join in our party games, tendered to you as of now. (What the hell; they're much more fun than ink-blots...)

In healthy-humour, kosk

Comment

Changing Titles

Legally, titles mean absolutely nothing, as noted by Article I, section 9, clause 8 of the Federal Constitution. (OK so that clause involves the bestowment of Titles of Nobility upon citizens. You got me.) Anyway, Article I, section 8, clause 8 gives Congress the power to grant copyrights for the expression of useful arts and intellectual property. In their infinite wisdom, Congress has decided that you are NOT allowed to copyright a title. [From the Copyright Office's official website among things not protected: "Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents."]

Therefore, you are never securing the title. You may change it at any time. Only the body of the screenplay is protected. The WGA doesn't give a damn about the name. They just throw your pages in brown paper and then into a cardboard box and send you a number for $25. The only true legal protection is a US copyright. (They do essentially the same thing as the WGA, but they don't charge you to renew your number after 5 years. (See my earlier posts for explanation.) If you want to sue someone for plagarising your work, you can just say in court, "Mr. Badowion stole from my screenplay entitled 'Dark Justice,' copyrighted as 'Justice Without Light.' The copyright number is B248582521. Here is the body of the script. Here are the stolen/plagarised portions. SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

Damn. Here endeth the lesson.- BADOWION!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X