Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unfortunate Hair

Ok, now I am just confused. Who's hair is what what in the when now?

I just always thought this part of the book would make a good short film, so I thought as a fun little exercise I would see if I could turn it into a screenplay. It's not plagiarism (which, since you really wanted the definition is "a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work") because I am not claiming credit to this at all, I am not trying to sell, or produce it or anything of that nature. I am simply doing it for fun. I only asked the questions I did here to see who I could legal show it to.

RPM323: After I finish this little project, I am sure I will write some screenplays of my own (or at least attempt to). I figure I will be a pro at formatting and have a little more insight into scene dynamics and the fine art of character interaction.

Again, thanks for all the help, however cynical it was at times

Comment

Yoshua,
      I hear what you're saying. It's like someone in a college class getting chewed out for writing a short story based on a poem. If you don't sell the work and you site the source material, you are legally fine. No harm. No foul. Would you piss off the writer of the poem or in your case the novelist? Depends. You heard the posts.

People are just cynical, because the question has been asked several times. Nothing personal.

BTW It takes a lot of practice to become a pro at format. I get your drift that you'll know the basics, but knowing how to use format as a professional does takes time. Oh, and I'd back RPM on thinking about doing your own original work. At least you could use that without fear of a writer kicking in your door. Still, you know what's best for you. Good luck.

Welcome aboard and stick around. You'll learn a lot.
      DS2

Comment

Hmm, I was adapting a piece of a book by Robert Jordan (a few chapters from The Shadow Rising, pgs. 390 - 441) and since he is a hunter perhaps I shouldn't mess with him *grin*

I plan on sticking around, writing for the silver screen is something I am very interested in

Comment

Yoshua

Welcome to the board.

Sure, go right ahead and do it as a learning exercise. Then when you're satisfied with it, put it in a drawer as your own private treasure. You risk at the least, trashing your own reputation, no matter how good your intentions, if you show it around. Next practice piece, try and use your own material.

Yes, the question has been asked a lot, but that's OK. We had one guy get practically hysterical over several pages because he didn't think it was fair that he couldn't use characters was someone else's comic. He loved it and seemed to think that made it his, too.

When you're new here, you don't know who's answering your questions. You were answered by some people who know what they're talking about. Sometimes if it looks like a new poster might be one of those who asks a question then wants to argue about it rather than listening and asking for clarification, posters can get short with you to make their point. Not your fault but some who have preceeded you. If you stick around, you'll get a sense of who knows what they are talking about.

If it's in public domain, don't worry about it.

lilybet

Comment

Re: Yoshua

Yep, agreed. I didn't mean to sound like I was just trying to start an argument, sorry if I did. I was just trying to clear things up and get a range of opinions.

I also have this theory that the people with 14 billion posts to their credit are often the ones who know what they're talking about (clueless people either don't stick around, or get a clue after logging a few million hours on a forum like this).

Comment

Re: Yoshua

Post numbers don't mean anything. It may indicate they have been here longer or they participate more frequently. Excellent new people hop aboard all the time.

Stick around, lot's to be learned. Opinions vary a lot.

lil

Comment

Talkin' the truth

Yoshua-- I can't completely condemn you for adapting an existing piece of work as 'practice.' The first screenplay I ever completed (well o.k., second, but we can't really count the film-school one) was an adaptation of a novella by a very famous writer. However, I did it knowing full well it was a 'practice' exercise to help me learn the craft, formatting rules, etc. It worked, and turned out to be a good kick-start to writing original stuff.

When I finished that script, I got a few opinions on it, then promptly put it in a drawer to collect dust and become a relic of my past. In the intervening years, that same novella was adapted (by a very gifted writer/director who was not me) into a much-loved film that was nominated for an Academy Award for best picture. If nothing else, my instincts were right, and I was happy to see a great story hit the silver-screen.

Keep on writin'. And now, about Ricky's hair...

--rpm

Comment

Working...
                X