Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slang

Does anyone know of a slang wegsite? Should I start one?

Hey

I don't know of any web sites, but Barnes and Noble has some good books on slang and street talk."WOLVERINES"!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah, be sure and include the dumbest and most contrived one "groovey." Pretty funny these days.

Bet, whoops, lil, whoops, lilybet

Comment

I think the curious thing is the origin and evolution of slang terms. "Groovey" comes from the beat phrase "in the groove", a reference to wax records and jazz. I wonder how many people would use the term "sucks" if they rememebered that the original version was "sucks ass".

Bill

Comment

Or the Aussie version: "Suck the Puss, Mate"

I can type it, but never can bring myself to utter it...

Comment

I am getting forgetful, but I remember doing some research, for some reason or another, on slang, and was greatly surprised to find that so much of what was considered hip or current was fifty or three hundred years old. But, of course, we are moving so much faster these days. I just glommed onto what LOL and IMHO meant. Am I a better person? Do not rush upon the dogs ... and hippy dippy doo or ... as if .... don't we all invent ways to exclude or include. One of the funniest remarks of the twentieth century, that no one seemed to notice -- the Pope brought Dylan to a concert to reach out to the young people. Was this the sixties, no, about 1998.

lil

Comment

Any book publishing slang is going to be outdated before it hits print. Books take up to 3 years to see print. Sometimes longer. By the time a book hits the shelves, slang has moved on. Worse, if you're using "slang" from a published source, well, so is every Tom Dick and Harry out there. So it is not fresh or different or, in many cases, even representative of what you are trying to represent. It is just one more writer pounding out cute phrases from a book three years past its prime, if it was ever accurate in the first place, along with every other writer writing outside an arena he or she knows and understands.

Comment

Slang II

I was thinking of a website where people could post slang they have heard and the context. A trained lexicographer could sift through it all. Kind of an on-line Oxford slang dictionary. Whattaya think?

Slang moves so fast that even "phat" is probably out of date.

Comment

Re: Slang II

Not a bad idea. It might have some merit.

Bill

Comment

Watch MTV a for a couple of hours. You'll get the newest stuff out there.

Comment

There are a couple of slang websites listed under "reference" on the "research" page of the wGA website. www.wga.org

There are also a few etymology sites that may have info:
                      www.wordwizard.com/ (has a slang section)
                      www.word-detective.com/
                      www.wilton.net/etyma1.htm
                      www.quinion.com/words/

Comment

Go browse the message boards at bolt.com (a youth-oriented site) for treasure troves of slang. Also bear witness to the "best" our public schools have to offer. It's hella fine.

Your pal,
                        Couchguy

Comment

There are atleast 2 very well known, and current slang websites where people can post their slang. One is the Online Slang dictionary...and the other is...I forgot...Do I have the URL? No. But if you go to askjeeves.com and type in "slang" you will get them.

Good luck!

Comment

Best Slang In Movies

You know that slang book that's three years out of date by the time they print it? By the time your film comes out, that stuff will be an archeological find.

Here are three films that had great slang:

THINGS TO DO IN DENVER WHEN YOU'RE DEAD by Scott Rosenberg. "boat drinks", etc. He made up some interesting slang - probably because there was no slang phrases for what he wanted. The film is fun because they DON'T decode the slang - you have to figure it out.

SWINGERS by that guy who was on Kilby's show last night. "money", "babies" - all of the slang is invented, but logical. He takes words and cuts out the middle man. Money can make these guys feel on top of the world (they're broke), so "money" means on top of the world.

CLUELESS by Twink Caplan and Amy Heckerling. "Totally Baldwin!" More invented slang. What's weird about this film is that it created slang that ended up actually being used. Though this film's slang isn't timeless (it's all based on current events), it was so unusual and inventive it was fun. It also seems dated in an interesting way - you get MORE about the time this film takes place in.

There's a difference between slang and jargon, by the way. Jargon is professional slang - "Put a snoot on a brute" which a Bestboy on a film set understands. You can't make up jargon, because it doesn't change like slang. It may evolve, but it's a slow process because it's "slang with a purpose" - it's all about communicating complicated ideas or phrases in simple, easy to understand words.

- Bill

Comment

Re: Best Slang In Movies

Anthony Burgess' invented slang in A Clockwork Orange is the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X