Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mysti

I think "Cider House Rules" proved you can make a message film work. The story was too good for someone to get very worked up about the pro-abortion aspect of it.

I'm sure there were some people upset about it, but there was no huge outcry against the film. Bottom line is - write a damn good story.

Comment

Flash in the pan preaching.

Take the opening shot of Boys in the Hood. From out of blackness, cut to a Stop Sign... effective, blunt, good job Singleton.

On the other hand, take a film like Secrets and Lies... drawn out, trite, lighten up Leigh.

Comment

Morality? Humour? Hmmmmm.....

Sometimes, the people that get peeved at a moral message are the same ones who can't take a joke. People who get irritated at an alternate POV - RE "lifestyle", choice of partners or politics - are often the same ones who light the torches and stomp off to burn down a windmill with a supposed "monster" inside. That monster being someone who dared make a wisecrack directed at something they hold dear.

The comic is thereby considered immoral, or amoral. Like Bill Hicks, on occasion.

So let me ask you this: What subjects do you consider to be "taboo" for joke-making? Since we've discussed meat and Indian religion, what are the "holy cows"?

I only ask because there are folks that would go apesh!t (and have) over jokes involving S&M leather-daddies and Darth Vader's choice of attire...

Comment

Working...
        X