• Show
Clear All

• a few questions

what's an effective way to suggest/indicate:

a montage

and

intercut with/between 3 or more shots?

should I do away with a prologue?

should I finish my first draft before rewriting substantially or should I rewrite this and that part, at the same time, adding to it?

many thanks.

because i don't really know what the three scenes are, and if they're long or short, i can't tell you. would you like to post an example? because if it's a montage, you just say MONTAGE: and then follow with the quick scenes.

don't know what you mean by prologue?

and to answer your last question, about rewriting after first draft, or rewriting whilst in the midst, it is subjective. coppola once said to finish your first draft asap. so you have something to work on. then i read an interview with the writer who wrote "shakespear in love" (forget his name at this point) who said he likes to rewrite as he writes, and lets his first draft be his finished draft.

i tend to go back every once in a while. especially after i quit for the night/day. start reading. get into the rhythm and the mood of it. then along the way, if i make changes, i make changes. but nothing major.

Comment

A few questions

"i tend to go back every once in a while. especially after i quit for the night/day. start reading. get into the rhythm and the mood of it. then along the way, if i make changes, i make changes. but nothing major."

That's exactly what I do. For me, I cant just start up Movie Magic and pick up where I left off. I have to start about ten pages back, re-read and re-write little things here and there to get in the writing mood I guess.

Comment

^

Strange Mind,

I'm rewriting substantially this and that part of my "romantic comedy-drama," so let me work on those montage and intercutting scenes that i mentioned before I post anything.

In the prologue, I introduce my characters and, in the sequence, they part ways. Then I start Act 1 when they meet again some 30 years later.

Mr. Godfree,

I feel I have no choice but to rewrite here and there because new and "better" ideas relating to specific scenes come to me everday. Thing is, they somewhat change the story's structure and speed.

I'm inspired by my new ideas, at the same time, feel kind of frustrated not being able to put this puppy to bed. It is sheer laziness and desire for expediency, but I know those things have no place in this kind of undertaking.

I have a couple more questions, if you please.

1. In a sequence involving successive INT. and EXT. scenes, do I have to indicate DAY or NIGHT on each shot/scene or just CONTINUOUS or just indicate nothing at all.

2. Is saying ESTABLISHING necessary/helpful when it's obviously a establishing shot? :rolleyes

THANKS.

Comment

IMO, the writing the word 'establishing' is not really necessary. Just write what you'd see in the shot. Describe the scene in one line if it's just a quickie to show where we are.

I think you should write DAY and NIGHT for each and every slugline you write in your script.

But you can use 'INTERCUT' between two main sluglines to avoid writing a new slugline for each 'shot' - if your aim is to jump back and forth quickly between an interior and exterior scene.

Is that what you were asking?

Comment

as matter of fact, Chris, your brief explanation about INTERCUT between two MAIN sluglines clarifies a lot to me.

Thanks. :rollin

Comment

more questions

does cover page count as page 1? should the TITLE appear before FADE IN? if I have a PROLOGUE, should that appear before or after FADE IN?

how do I indicate 20 YEARS LATER?

should stage directions in parentheticals?

thank you very much in advance. :rollin

Comment

Re: more questions

cover page is not page 1. cover page is sometimes called title page, to my knowledge. then page 1 starts with FADE IN.

prologue comes after fade in.

SUPER: 20 YEARS LATER

stage directions aren't in parentheticals unless you want to squeeze them in with dialogue.

Comment

Re: more questions

I'm looking at a copy of Good Will Hunting and the script has a final sequence - if you might consider it similar to a prologue - is written as follows:

In caps: Begin Final Sequence (Over Traditional Irish Music)

Then 9 scenes with mostly with location EXT. are listed without cut to's.

I wrote a script where I used a cop making arrests and let the content of each arrest shown the passing of time. An example was I showed the cop arresting blockheads stealing 8-Track tapes and the same cop at a crime scene in a very "yuppie" 80's type apartment.

The easy way out is the 20 Years later title card. IMO prologues can give the writer momentum, so you don't necessarily have to drop them. Like back story,
                  they could be indispensable.

S/M

Was it Tom Stoppard?

Comment

Working...
                  X