Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Examples of character arc, theme, flaw etc

Can you give some examples of Character arcs, and theme and flaw on some movies so i can see how they are connected?

My bad example, please improve:
    STAR WARS:
    THEME:? believe in yourself?
    FLAW: Insecurity/Does not believe in himself
    INTERNAL “GOAL”: Believe in himself
    GOAL: Blow up the death star
    CRISIS/How he overcomes his flaw: He uses the force instead of the targeting computer
    CLIMAX: He blows up the death star

JAWS
    What is the theme and flaw? Is his flaw that he is afraid of water or that he don’t take action? If theme and flaw is connected how can his flaw be that he is afraid of water?

I would be thankful if you could give me some examples on movies like Jaws, The Thing, No Country for old men, Fight Club, Sixth Sense, Memento, basically any movie. Or point me to a link with many examples.
    Last edited by Mysterious; 10-25-2009, 12:48 PM.

Re: Examples of character arc, theme, flaw etc

The American President

Theme: The differences between merely good men, and great men who can inspire people.

Flaw: Doesn't fully express himself or his beliefs because of the risk of alienating a portion of potential voters.

Internal Need: Stand up for who and what he believes in.

Goal: Win reelection.

Crisis: His straddling of the fence puts a stain on his romantic and work relationships

Climax: He gives an outstanding speech, standing up to his attacker and standing up for his beliefs.

Not sure if this is right because I haven't seen it in a while. I watch Casablanca all the time, so I'll do the same for that movie in the morning.
    what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Thanks, i find it easier to understand with examples than just reading a text on the subject.

But if theme and flaw sohuld be connected is the theme in Jaws "dont be afraid of water?" that would be kinda silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterious View Post
        Thanks, i find it easier to understand with examples than just reading a text on the subject.

But if theme and flaw sohuld be connected is the theme in Jaws "dont be afraid of water?" that would be kinda silly.
        I haven't watched Jaws in a very long time, so I can't speak on it specifically, but the theme could be fear in general.
        what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Originally posted by Kwinnky View Post
          I haven't watched Jaws in a very long time, so I can't speak on it specifically, but the theme could be fear in general.
          Or more specifically: to truly live, an individual must face his/her deepest fears...or something like that.

Comment

Check out this blog entry and read his breakdown of the script "The Verdict"...that should answer alot of your questions.

Inside Pitch

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
              Check out this blog entry and read his breakdown of the script "The Verdict"...that should answer alot of your questions.

Inside Pitch
              Thanks for the link Gilly.

The only thing I see different over the last three years since you posted that is that Hollywood films have changed.

In your example you have the CONTINUATION OF ACT TWO between pages 60 and 64 and then ACT THREE starting on page 90.

Most films I watch generally have plot point two around pages 60 - 65, starting act three. They then reach the climax at around pages 90 - 100. Then there is a short resolution.

Thus, most films are 90 to 105 pages. I watch all films with a clock and it is an exact science.

I think a lot of people may fail and why they think writing act two is so hard is because they are trying to fill the pages writing scenes that are not moving the script forward to get to act three, when they really should be nearing the climax.

Just my opinion.

Jeff Shurtleff
              "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

I'm still reading plenty of scripts over a buck twenty...but I don't think it's about the length of the script...structure is structure and those principles apply whether the script is 150 or 99 pages...structure isn't rigid it's flexible and adapts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
                  I'm still reading plenty of scripts over a buck twenty...but I don't think it's about the length of the script...structure is structure and those principles apply whether the script is 150 or 99 pages...structure isn't rigid it's flexible and adapts.
                  You know what's weird, I've written probably 20 scripts and I have never written a script over 110 pages.

Sometimes I read threads where people are trying to figure out ways to cut down their page count. I just want to get the story down and get it done.

The first script I wrote with Brandon was originally 94 pages. On the rewrite we bumped it up to I think 101.

I just want a complete script so I can ask "Do you like the concept, story, and structure?" I know Dialog is going to be fixed.

I know when it all goes down, everything is going to be rewritten. In fact, I know that's how they have been pitched, not by me, with the phrase "We know they need rewrites"

If I was writing a script and I had plot point one around thirty, it would really throw off my writing time clock if I didn't have plot point two until ninety.

But that's just me, I know everybody is different. I've been doing it a certain way for so long, it's kind of automatic.

Jeff Shurtleff
                  "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

Comment

One more thought.

I wise man once said after a Monday morning meeting "The only thing we all agreed upon was that the script needed to be re-written"

Jeff Shurtleff

Comment

Working...
                    X