Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bill Martell

Well said, Bill. I write things outside of my regular gigs that I know don't have a chance in Hades of being requested, never mind read by studios. I am slotted into a certain genre for the time being. Fortunately, it's a genre I enjoy. For now. But I do remember the "anything is possible" times of the past when I wrote whatever was beating at the sides of my skull to get out, and could imagine anything happening with the finished product.

But, as an astute Jamyn pointed out, at certain levels you are able to write in any genre. If M. Night, Ron Bass or Steve Zaillian decide to write the polar opposite of the last script they did, they will still have bidders.

Do I have a point? Jeez... not really, I guess.

Write in all genres while you can because you don't know what's going to hit with the buyers and you'll need a spectrum to showcase your talents. Then they'll decide for you what genre you work in.

Comment

Mmm' Bop, M. Night.

Sixth Sense. A supernatural thriller with a surprise ending.

Unbreakable. A supernatural thriller with a surprise ending.

He's not much of an exception. Though, if he does end up penning the next Indiana Jones adventure(rumor), I'll eat my words with a side order of Fedora.

Comment

M. Night.

RAIDERS had supernatural elements. In fact, that was one of Indy's specialties - artifacts of the occult.

Actually, STUART LITTLE is kind of a supernatural movie - Geena Davis has a talking mouse?

- Bill

Comment

Re: sticking to genre

Hm. See, I'd say that I should stick with my genre of supernatural/horror, as that's what I've been doing..

...but I'm totally new to this, so how would I know? So I'll take some of those other ideas I've had, one of them a comedy (bordering on Rom-Com) and see if I can make something of it... I liked what was said earlier, something to the effect of how the *industry* will decide what you're good at, by your success...

Comment

I'm hoping to break into the "blockbuster" or "megahit" genre. When I do, I suppose I'll stick with it.

Comment

I'm gonna stick to my gender, also.

Comment

I thing you're missing the important half of Truby's advice. He said FIND your genre and stick to one or two. If you've only written a few scripts you probably haven't given yourself a chance to find your genre. Beginning writers should not be afraid to explore and experiment. If you have no interest in a genre, fine. But if you've only written action and think you might like rom-com, do it! Finding your genre can be a process that takes years and numerous scripts. Note that you also quote him as saying "pick one or two." So don't limit yourself to one just because that's all you've written so far.

Comment

Steve

Your point is well made, but if you check my initial post - this is what I was advocating and wondered if someone had actually tried a new genre and realized they couldn't do it or it was not for them.

Best wishes

Comment

Mr Friendly

Now I get it, and, yes, I have branched out and had that branch swing back to smack me in the face.

Family stuff. I tried it, and something very, very bad happened to the family. Something way beyond PG or even PG-13. Those poor bastards never had a chance.

Comment

Hangfire

Hang that was priceless!

Comment

Re: Hangfire

David Eddings wrote the High Hunt (his best book imo) which is a contemporary novel of american life, and then went on to write scores of NYTimes bestseller fantasy novels. I always wished he would go back and write some more comtemporary stuff. His fantasy books were great too, so don't take this as ragging on his later writing.

Comment

Hang - that was hillarious! Just couldn't help yourself, could you?

Steve - How is it that you know so much? Did I already ask you this cause I don't remember the answer? Tell me again and I won't forget, promise.

Bill - we would appreciate it if you stuck to your gender!

Tina

Comment

Tina

I'm trying. God help me, I'm trying. But the voices. The voices. They just won't... leave... ME ALONE!!

Comment

Steve - great advice, makes sense.

Hang - LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X