Attention to detail and suspension of disbelief...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Found: Joaquin Murieta's Head!!

I have that one too, muh man... and now that you've proven yourself, you'll have NO excuse not to show your true emoti-colours in the Emoti-Movie thread...

Glad (again) that you're with us... kosk

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Found: Joaquin Murieta's Head!!

http://cgi.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-b.../jarswim1a.gif

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Joaquin Murieta's Head on History Channel

hm, *I* am curious as to whether the owner of said head is a Californian or Mexican... (we could go on a raid, Bill!)

:lol

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Joaquin Murieta's Head on History Channel

gdover - Wow! I wish I had seen the program. Originally the head was preserved in whiskey.

I would have to question the authenticity of the head in the show, because everything I've read claims it disappeared in the earthquake. It is possibly the real thing, I guess. Does the owner keep it on his coffee table? Yecch!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Regarding researching every little thing, remember that most films cut away when boring procedural or technical stuff begins to occur.

Technical stuff can really bog down a good story.

Chris.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Joaquin Murieta's Head on History Channel

Bill,

It just so happens that I was watching the History channel tonight and guess what story they ran...Joaquin Murieta's head and the guy that owns it now.

I was busy writing and halfway listening to the program but I did turn and see this outlaw's head preserved in this huge glass...what's he preserved in formaldehyde?

Just thought I would pass it along.

gdover

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well, Tina...

Dublin is a wonderful and strange city...

Even in the men's stalls, I can't recall seeing any drawings of "parts".

Think about that for a moment.

Even in the "liberal" areas, I never once saw people of the same gender even hold hands, even steal a kiss together.

On some levels, outspoken and very much rocketing into the new millenium.

On other levels, someone from the most dreaded parts of the '50's would have a happy vacation there.

But it is still my most favourite city in the world, and I long to return, as soon as I can.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: BTW, Gig...

kosk - It's a good thing I've never been to Dublin - I feel certain I would have slipped up and mentioned masturbation at least once during a conversation!

Seriously...is that true? Are they kind of prudish...not that that's a bad thing, I don't reakon. I'm just curious...just incase I'm ever out that way.

Tina

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    BTW, Gig...

(aside from how delightful you were in the "Room" today)...

The comments about unbelievable family-tales really hit home.

Actually, they hit me in the chest like one of "Squint" Eastwoods magnum slugs.

I reckon they deserve their own "spin-off" thread...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Giant Bugs and Gargantuan Lizards and...

When I was a kid, I learned - to my great disappointment - a bit of science.

I love Godzilla even though I know he cannot get proper oxygen intake while being any size larger than a tract-house.

I can't deal with Disney's The Black Hole because of what my science teacher told me about gravity/mass/density when I was 12.

Genre problems. BUT:

In regards to romedies/dramadies/etc., I think that the suspension of disbelief problem would depend more on characters/personae than "cold-facts". Example: You set one in Dublin. I've been to Dublin. Been romantic in Dublin. Been nearly run down in the road in Dublin. Never saw a fresh tomatoe in Dublin (they send them frozen from Greece, etc.).

Let's say your romance/comedy shows us good Dublin drivers. No sweat. Or freshly grown tomatoes; I can deal with that. Wouldn't cause a reading "hiccup". But if there was a scene with a man and woman openly joking about masturbation during any date, even if while drunk, I'd have a problem. Since that never happens there. Still, to this day.

I think it comes down to genre again; all I care about is whether I can believe that any man/woman you write about could/would fall in love.

My ha'penny, kosk

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Great Periods In Ice Cream

Bill (other),

Thanks. I didn't meant to take over this thread with a question about ice cream, but I do think a point has been made about research. First, ask people you know, like folks on this board. Second, call up a company or agency in your area that deals with your topic. Third, do a search on the WWW. You would not believe how many ice cream sites there are! If all else fails, try the library.

Apparently, ice cream goes back to the seventeenth century, in one form or another. The wafer cones were introduced in St. Louis in 1904. That's good enough for me. If San Francisco didn't have ice cream cones in 1905, they SHOULD have!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Great Periods In Ice Cream

Bill,

Try calling Dreyers in Oakland. Somebody in thee PR dept can probably give you a bunch of info on ice cream history in the Bay Area. Heck, they INVENTED Rocky Road, my favorite flavor,they've got to know something.

- Other Bill

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: I scream, you scream...

Well if I can't steal that one then I'm calling dibs on the sequel:

Title: The Outlaw Head (sub: Joaquin Does Dallas)
    Genre: Horromedy
    Synopsis: Missing since 1906, the preserved head of notorious California outlaw, Joaquin Murieta, turns up in the carport laboratory of the great-great-grandson of Victor Frankenstein, a Dallas proctologist who dabbles in whole body transplants in his spare time. A stitch here, a stitch there, and 50,000 volts later, the pickled-headed outlaw rides again! Donning a hockey mask (which bears a strange resemblance to William Shatner) and armed with one mutha of a chainsaw, Joaquin turns this Halloween night into one the city of Dallas will NEVER forget.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Smurf, no it's not an earthquake story. But the quake actually had some significance to the real story I am loosely basing my screenplay on. I've written a comedy about a man mistaken for the notorious California outlaw, Joaquin Murieta (var. sp.) of the 1850's.

Joaquin's head was cut off and brought back by a special posse of rangers as proof he had been killed. The head was allegedly on display, pickled inside a glass jar, in a museum in San Francisco up until the 1906 earthquake, and was never seen again afterwards.

But that's not the funny part! And don't bother stealing the idea, my 'play is on its way to the WGA. :b

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Bill,

San Francisco? 1905?

You wouldn't be writing that great American earthquake story, now would ya?

Remember the movie "Earthquake" back in the 70's and the 'shake-a-vision' technology (or whatever it was called)? A lot of theaters actually sustained minor structural damage due to showing that movie...

Just a little nostalgia. Dating myself now, so I'll shut up...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X