Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2Brad:

Who mentioned a less-than perfect concept? The thread is about high concept. And no one is advising writers to just fill up 100 pages and submit.

But the oft-repeated, 'Write the best possible script you can,' advice doesn't guarantee a spec sale either.

I hate the fact that high-concept and commercial viability often supercedes quality of writing. But it often does. That's the reality of the business.

If your logline doesn't offer a commercial concept, the odds are really low anyone will ever get to read your perfectly executed yet low concept spec.

To play down the importance of a spec writer developing a solid, commercial concept is bad advice. "Write it well," is a given.

Comment

Writeman's... well, right. High concept premises will stand on their own. I've read scripts by people on these boards that have extremely fresh ideas that I would buy if I were in such a position to do so simply because of that concept.

The writing was mediocre, it got the idea across, was full of cliche and the characters came across flat but it was the concept that sold me. And not all were high budget. They just reminded me of a group of movies that made a lot of money but had a fresh take on all of them.

If it was alll about the script then producers would never buy pitches. Sure they're buying it from established writers generally but it's the idea that grabs them. Why else would they want it? Resident Evil had drafts written by two different writers. Same with Spiderman. Tokyo Suckerpunch is currently being rewritten by someone else.

All of the above are examples where the concept rocked and the script wasn't up to par so they kept working at the script with new writers.

Always write to the best of your abilities. Always. Never slack off it's just that for those very few ideas that are over the top fantastic, they have a smiggin' more of a chance than something that's been done.

Bad writing never sells. Mediocre writing can squeeze by if the idea's great. But like writeman says, you can't sustain a career on it.

Comment

I think the lesson here is don't waste time writing a mediocre uncommercial idea. Brainstorm concepts until you have a hook that will sel on its own. Then you write it as best you can.

Comment

Okay, one last try.
          It only means that the higher your concept, the more it balances out if your writing isn't as strong. The opposite is also true. The stronger your writing, the more it balances out a weaker concept.
          I'm not saying anybody is wrong.

And I agree information and knowledge is a good thing. But any information and knowledge is useless unless it is applied in some way.

So tell me, anybody, when I sit down to write, how to I apply this information to my writing?

Nobody has answered me yet. I don't think you can. On one hand you are encouraging people to do their best, but on the other hand you are saying that their best may not be necessary.

Please don't babble on - just be clear and answer that one question. Even if I have all of this wrong you still should be able to answer a simple question.

(I have a feeling this thread just ended.)

Comment

So tell me, anybody, when I sit down to write, how to I apply this information to my writing?
            Re-read MDB's post. It answers your question concisely.
            (As do the one's above it).

Comment

Is it now okay for a writer to think:
              I don't have to be a very good writer because my concept will sell my script.
              or
              I'm a great writer so I don't need a great story.
              or
              I can slack off on my writing because my story is so great.
              Okay. Let's look at that. Statistically how many ideas are pitched by new writers that sell? I'd say not too many. And how many of those ideas are so over the top brilliant that they stand on their own without a good script. I'd say damn few. One in something to the hundredth power.

Trouble is. We all think we're brilliant in our own arrogant little ways. We all think we got the next best movie in the whole world. We sit back and figure that it's great. Awesome. Stu-fvckin'-pedous. We're so good we don't need to learn sh!t. And sh!t is exactly what we end up putting out.

It isn't great. We're kidding ourselves. We have to learn to write brilliantly because there is really no other way. I think my current idea is familiar and fresh at the same time. I sincerely think I got the ONE. But I thought that last time and the time before too. But this time I reeeeaaallllyyyy mean it.

Did any of the other eight sell on those merits? No. Why? Because I'm not an established writer and in order to become an established writer you have to be a brilliant executor of ideas you present in your scripts.

Can you sell on the merits of an idea alone? One in a million. May as well buy a lottery ticket. Can you sell something that is a great story but the writing isn't all that exciting? Yes. You can have all the elements that make a screenplay a screenplay and with an awesome premise... you can sell it. Sometimes. Great writing is the only sure thing.

Will you do it if your writing sucks? No. Because no one gives a sh!t about a writer who can't write. Period. And they aren't going to give that writer a chance over an idea. You have to have a script that has the story laid out with it. A great story.

Because you are currently nothing. Nada. If you can't write they ain't takin' a chance on you. There's a million good ideas hanging around H'wood. A lot of them on shelves collecting dust. Don't for one second think if you can't write you can sell. You'll be waiting a long time. You have to come to terms with the fact that...

Your idea ain't brilliant. It's mediocre at best. And it's going to have to be a brilliant execution that's going to sell. Great writing. Phenominal characters. And if you don't plan on executing as such. Give up now. An agent would rather work with an excellent writer with good ideas than a mediocre writer with great ideas. I figure anyway.

But to each their own.

Comment

MDB posted his reply while I was working on mine. But yes, I will admit he is concise.

Since I have a handle on what will be commercial in four years I know my idea is neither mediocre nor uncommercial. And it just so happens I have a great concept with a great hook and I write great.

Thank you, you have been a really big help. Finally I can get back to work.

Comment

Since I have a handle on what will be commercial in four years I know my idea is neither mediocre nor uncommercial. And it just so happens I have a great concept with a great hook and I write great.

Thank you, you have been a really big help. Finally I can get back to work.
                  Thank goodness. I was beginning to think you had some strange fetish that required you to have the last word JUST for last word's sake.

Let's see if my theory proves true...

:hat

Comment

Read Taotropics' post (then read the whole thread, because it's a pretty good one) for an interesting take on this subject:

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedea...61&stop=80

Comment

Working...
                    X