Don't write what you know or like... Write what you can!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Don't write what you know or like... Write what you can!

I agree. You can't aspire to write only what you know. Fewer scripts would sell. And worst of all, we'd have no E.T.
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Comment

Write what interests you to write.

What's so complicated about this?
      "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

The complication is in the inadequecy.
        "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
        -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by WriteByNight View Post
          I agree. You can't aspire to write only what you know. Fewer scripts would sell. And worst of all, we'd have no E.T.

I don't understand that statement at all.

You don't need to be an alien in order to write about aliens. You just need to know how to write an alien into a story in a particular way with the intent of moving the audience in a particular way.

That's what 'writing what you know' means.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
            :You don't need to be an alien in order to write about aliens. You just need to know how to write an alien into a story in a particular way with the intent of moving the audience in a particular way.

That's what 'writing what you know' means.
            I don't believe that to be true. Writing what you know is writing stories that grow out of your own life, environment and experiences. I don't think it refers in any way to your skills to move an audience, though it might be a vehicle to do so. And yes, a science fiction writer can be writing what she knows by imagining how an alien arrival would affect those in the world she knows.

Comment

Writing what you know for me isn't about writing about things you are knowledgeable about, such as baseball or beekeeping or whatever. It's about exploring and writing about the human condition, our emotions, our ups and downs.

Stories are about US, human beings, in all our glory, tragedy and craziness. Being human is a wonderful, wacky experience for all of us. And stories, good stories, share something of that experience, internal and external. Perhaps stories help us understand we are not alone.

So you can write an alien version of Romeo and Juliet because you have experienced or can imagine young love - the intensity, the immaturity, the wonderfulness of discovering love for the first time and the incredible sadness of that first loss.
              826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

ET's simply a "boy and his dog" story with an alien in place of the dog. Plenty of people know how to write a good boy and his dog story. What makes it a truly memorable movie is using something people know from personal experience in visual story nobody's ever seen before.

Comment

Wonderfully put, Jenny.

Comment

I don't know LeBron James, but I am an admirer.

Let's say LeBron writes a script about a busload of nuns who are kidnapped by an alien spaceship. Let's also say he knows no nuns, has never got himself to a nunnery. It just seemed to him like a cool idea.

A friend reads the script and tells him the dialogue and reactions don't ring true. He should write what knows.

LeBron does a rewrite. Instead of nuns, he packs the bus with young athletes. Now the script sings because the reactions of athletes, what they say and aspire to rings true and makes it REAL.

That is writing what you know and failing this is a mistake a lot of young writers make, setting their stories in environments and among people they know nothing about.

Which is not to say LeBron could not write a story about nuns. I'm sure he could.

Comment

This is why research was invented.

Comment

KNOW what you write. Research.

Comment

Working...
                        X