Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Action with STYLE

I'm writing an action suspense thriller, but having trouble with writing the action scenes with original style. David Ayer's script "Training Days" was an inspiration just style-wise. I love the "Bourne Ultimatum" action sequences, but the writing of those scenes were uninspired and pedestrian-IMO.

Any suggestions of screenplays to read? I've tried unsuccessfully to find Ayer's script for "Harsh Times"

Thanks.

Re: Writing Action with STYLE

I would recommend reading LA Rex and Lethal Weapon.
    The Best Impersonation of Christian Bale Freak Out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5631H6KuE

Comment

see this thread and the recommendations therein

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=52554

also, the dissection of fiasco heights thread

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ghlight=fiasco

also, bill martell is a member here.

http://www.scriptsecrets.net/

read his posts and you will learn quite a bit.

(not to mention he wrote a book (THE BOOK) on action screenwriting -- currently out-of-print. )

Comment

Thank you beejay and Typewriter. Much appreciated.

Comment

I don't know.

I guess I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to action writing and writing in general.

The FIASCO HEIGHTS script just came across to me a bit juvenile.

It's like Shane Black gave everybody wood because he talked directly to execs in LETHAL WEAPON and now we still have a huge cluster of writers badly trying to imitate a style that was hyped and overblown to begin with.

I'll take Milo Addica or Bill monahan over Shane Black any day of the week.

Go read Monster's Ball.

Read London Boulevard.
          "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

The old masters: Walter Hill, Walter Hill and Walter Hill.

But I wouldn't focus on style (which does not show up on screen) as much as whether it is exciting and is about story and character. But you *do* want to make your action scenes exciting to read - you want the screenplay to be the movie.

One of those basic things in writing action (learned it from reading Walter Hill scripts) are reversals: http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/tip80.htm

Style is something that *you* will develop. It will be *your* style, not someone else's. I do a ton of action stacking and do some diagonal lines for suspense - no one else does the diagonal thing. It's part of *my* style. I wanted to find some way to make the writing on the page like a series of shot cliff hangers and the diagonal thing felt like that. You may want to make the script read like some element of watching an action scene feels and come up with something that nobody else uses.

PS: This is also my email response.

- Bill
            Last edited by wcmartell; 02-08-2010, 01:08 AM.
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              The old masters: Walter Hill, Walter Hill and Walter Hill.

But I wouldn't focus on style (which does not show up on screen) as much as whether it is exciting and is about story and character. But you *do* want to make your action scenes exciting to read - you want the screenplay to be the movie.

One of those basic things in writing action (learned it from reading Walter Hill scripts) are reversals: http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/tip80.htm

Style is something that *you* will develop. It will be *your* style, not someone else's. I do a ton of action stacking and do some diagonal lines for suspense - no one else does the diagonal thing. It's part of *my* style. I wanted to find some way to make the writing on the page like a series of shot cliff hangers and the diagonal thing felt like that. You may want to make the script read like some element of watching an action scene feels and come up with something that nobody else uses.

PS: This is also my email response.

- Bill
              Thanks for that Bill. Very helpful.

Interestingly, I (accidentally) used some of the "Good News/Bad News/Surprise" technique in the action-thriller I'm currently writing. It's a car chase where an assassin chases the protag and his ally through the desert. The protag's car crashes. The assassin approaches, pistol in hand, ready to finish the job. Things look pretty bleak (good from the assassin's POV ), until the surprise. But I think I need to go back and add a couple more good news-bad news couplets to the scene, really make 'em sweat!

Comment

Great article Bill.

And glad to see you used one of my favourite movies of all time as the example.

I remember seeing it at the cinema and being totally gripped by the whole tanker chase scene - for exactly the reasons you listed (but without being aware why, of course).

If only Neil Marshall had read your article before making Doomsday!

Or any of your articles for that matter !!!

I once met Neil shortly after Dog Soilder's was released and he was a really nice guy, so I was bitterly disappointed for him (and me) that his homage to Mad Max 2 and failed miserably.

So I guess to bring this post back in line to the thread title, my two penneth worth would be: don't copy action scenes that have been done brilliantly before, write your own.

And if they are getting even remotely close to something that's considered a masterpiece in action drama, then start to rework it.

Mat.
                I'm a product of everything I've ever experienced ... I need to get out more!

Comment

Walter Hill is a monster. I almost destroyed myself trying to imitate his style. Doesn't come natural to me so I abandoned it, but he's one of the all-timers for sure.

Comment

I have an economical style which lends itself to writing action, but I write that way naturally. I never tried to immitate anyone.

I usually find that Shane Black joky style of writing annoying. I like my action lines straight & to the point. But I've noticed that showy writing gets people's attention.

Agree that Martell's "Good News/Bad News" idea is great. I recently re-read his "Secrets" book & that's one of my fav tips. If you were wondering "How do I write an action sequence?", you can start right there.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by stephenleehess View Post
                      I'm writing an action suspense thriller, but having trouble with writing the action scenes with original style.
                      Style as in the the words on the page?

The best remedy is to read more scripts. Read a bunch in the vein of what you're trying to emulate, but also read other genres as well to see how they use words and phrasing to create a different kind of mood.

Comment

there are tons of action flicks out there but the ones that are really good have great characters and story that people will remember.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                          [LEFT]The old masters: Walter Hill, Walter Hill and Walter Hill.

bill, damn it!!!!!

am I the only one that has a problem reading a black background!?
                          @#$^&^&^%%!!!!!!!

after two lines I cannot continue! you're burning my retina!!!!

i guess we must have coffee if i want to soak up your wisdom.

ciao

Comment

Working...
                          X