No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all the good ones have been taken.

Comment

Rule 1: Write as original a story as you can, write it as well as you can, make it look as much like a screenplay as you can.

Rule 2: There is no Rule 2.

Comment

Totally unfair. I attempted twice to start a thread on the rules of Brads, and they both got deleted.

I'll add these:

All dialogue must have subtext. If your characters EVER actually say what they're thinking, then you've failed.

Comment

kullervo:

great article. highly entertaining and informative. thanks for sharing the link.

noh1:

pssst... "we see"

Comment

What do you mean APW? Damn!!

Comment

Tony: I got it. That was ****in hilarious.

I only have one rule, but it's nothing I have to enforce. I just do it anyway.

If you say

EXT. DOWNTOWN STREET - DAY

Do you really have to describe it?

Comment

never use "we see" or "we hear". Never. If you do, you will be mocked from Chatsworth to the O.C., from Santa Monica to San Bernadino.

pssst... William. Thanks.

Comment

The Zen Koans of Screenwriting. :lol

Comment

Oh and if you're in England don't write another god awful Sarf Lundin gangster movie.

Comment

The prohibition against '-ing' verbs as in: Bob is nodding off when the telephone rings and wakes him.

Comment

"Don't use adverbs in your exposition." Yet I always see them used in professional scripts. The first ten pages of the script "Sideways" contains: Instantly, fitfully, hurriedly, finally, carefully, blandly.

Why do the gurus deliberately, repeatedly, and carefully warn us that such verbalism undoubtedly screams amateur. Many pros contstantly do it.

Comment

* don't even bother typing FADE IN at the top of the page if you don't live in LA.

* all your writing shortcomings will be forgiven if you have a killer story.

* all your story shortcomings will be forgiven if your writing is awesome.

Comment

Don't Suck.

kullervo

Comment

Myth: you need 'connections' to get into the business.

Maybe that's not a screenwriting "rule/myth" but it comes up a lot and it's bunk.

Edited: of course you need to create relationships with people, but you don't have to be born into the business.

Comment

The prohibition against '-ing' verbs as in: Bob is nodding off when the telephone rings and wakes him.
                                I agree with that one. When you have a construction like that, there's almost always a better way to write it.

But that's not just true of screenwriting. And I forgot we're not discussing the rules. Never mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X