X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rule #1: There are no rules.

Comment

Don't Suck.
      I agree. The screenplay should stand on its own merits without all that extra-curriculur hanky-panky.

Comment

That you have to have a film school degree to succeed in the business.

Comment

never write that a character cries.

Comment

Never do a scene where the protag is talking to the grave of a dead loved one.

Well, actually, maybe that is a GOOD rule, after all.

Comment

Never do a scene where the protag is talking to the grave of a dead loved one.
              That's a new one.

How bout...

Never open your script to a slow pan of your protagonist's messy bedroom as he wakes up in the morning.

Comment

Don't show extremely graphic displays of violence in progress against children or animals. If they are to be victims of violence, only show their bodies afterward. If you show a little kid or puppy getting splattered onscreen, the audience will hate you.

Don't know if that's really a rule, but I've heard it repeated often enough by film professors and on messageboards.

Comment

If you work hard, learn all you can, and want it bad enough, you'll make it in this business.

Comment

Some other people already mentioned the ones that irk me the most, but here are a few more:

- Spelling doesn't matter. An editor will clean your script up later.

- You'll never sell from outside of Los Angeles.

- If you write a great script, it'll magically find its way into the right hands.

- Using CAPS for anything other than character intros is amateurish.

- If a pro did it, that gives you the green light to do it, too.

- If a pro did it, that means you can't/shouldn't do it.

- A comedy MUST have a hilarious joke/situation ON EVERY SINGLE PAGE.

- The leaner it is, the better it is.

- You won't/can't sell your first script.

- You won't sell until your 9th or 10th script.

- You're either born a writer or you're not.

- Anyone can learn to be a good screenwriter if they just practice.

- Learning theories won't help you improve your writing.

- The end of your first act must land on page 30. The end of your second on page 90, etc.

- Nine act structure is fundamentally/dramatically different from three act structure. :rolleyes

- Query letters don't work.

- No one at the Big 5 will answer your queries.

- If you write it, they will cum.

- If you can't write a good logline, then your script is obviously flawed.

Comment

If you work hard, learn all you can, and want it bad enough, you'll make it in this business.
                      This one's my favorite.

Comment

rules

If you are a chick, you gotta write a rom com.

Comment

Re: rules

Rule 1: outline, outline and outline

Rule 2: look for the universal truth in the story you're trying to tell

Rule 3: tell your story in a dramatic way

Rule 4: tell your story in a visual way

Rule 5: get the first draft done

Rule 6: accept all notes as help rather than personal criticism - always start off from the POV that the person giving the notes is right and you are wrong

Rule 7: never assume you know your story better than anyone else

Rule 8: rewrite, rewrite and rewrite

Rule 9: read screenplays

Rule 10: never give up learning

Rule 11: keep writing, keep churning out scripts - each one will teach you something (there is no substitute for doing)

Rule 12: write because you have to, because you love it, because it gives you pleasure - not because you want lots of money or an Oscar

Rule 13: write the kind of scripts you would pay to watch - write what interests you, what you're passionate about, even if it's uncommercial (just don't expect to sell it)

Rule 14: live a life worth living - enjoy life - get out and do stuff outside your safety zone, be alive; it's easy to write if you have something to say and our experience is the fuel for what we write

Rule 15: realise that there are no rules in screenwriting, but that you have to know what they are before you can break them

Comment

Rule 8: rewrite, rewrite and rewrite
                            Practising what you preach, Wolfy?

Comment

All dialogue must have subtext. If your characters EVER actually say what they're thinking, then you've failed.
                              This one is actually true

I'll add "avoid writing westerns and pirate scripts, they never sell"

Oh, and never use CAPS when sounds GO OFF

Comment

I always rewrite - even if that rewriting isn't very good. I have very little talent and ability, but I do the best I can. My efforts are honest.

Comment

Working...
                                X