Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rules

And I always use CAPS when cars EXPLODE or guns go BANG! Fie to those who say otherwise.

And fer pete's sake, not ALL dialogue MUST have subtext. Sometimes people actually SAY WHAT THEY MEAN.

"Nobody knows nothing" -- especially wannabe screenwriters on message boards.

-Derek
    My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

Comment

yeah but you weren't supposed to let dclary know that

:\

Comment

My midlife crisis fueled reply was a low intensity non-specific fart bomb, not aimed at any particular person, place or thing. I just had this overwhelming urge to contribute to a classic DD "here's how it's done" thread so I could share in the general bonhomie.

-Derek
        My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

Comment

rewrite

Comment

Rule #1: There are no rules.
            Queen,
            I like this one. As "myths" go this one seems to be believed my most.

Comment

Heh. Good one, Bradley. You have a healthy sense of humor about yourself.

Comment

Sorry, I was attempting to write the "good type" of subtext.

How about these two:

Rule #1 - There are no "guidelines" only "rules".
                Rule #2 - To discredit a guideline you must elevate it to the status of a rule and then point out examples where it was applied effectively.

Comment

"Anyone can make it if they keep learning, work hard and never give up."

Comment

Here are some you find out once you get to Hollywood:

A) The meeting that was originally scheduled for 10:00 Monday Morning will actually happen at 10:00 on Monday Morning.

B) It's 8 miles from here to West LA. I should be able to get there in an hour.

Comment

#15: Hollywood buys ideas.
                      #16: Writing is the easy part.

Comment

bullshit:

* your script will be passed on if you break some of the nitpicky, pet peeve rules (e.g., "we see")

* your script will be passed on if you break some of the big, important rules (e.g., a "soft" opening)

* you'll never be a professional screenwriter if you continuously break some of the nitpicky, pet peeve rules

* you'll never be a professional screenwriter if you continuously break some of the big, important rules

* you have to think "high concept" in order to become a professional screenwriter

* (the controversial one) You can write a script as good as American Beauty, Traffic, Groundhog Day, The Sixth Sense, etc., WITHOUT making any sort of contacts along the way (rare cases, folks, rare cases)

Comment

Re: the mythical orthodoxy of screenwriting

This ain't no myth: Don't ask a professional script analyst to read your script for free without expecting to be beaten with said script. In fact, don't ask at all. Also, don't ask a professional script analyst to pass your script on to their boss or another pro. There are no rules, but you break them at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Re: the mythical orthodoxy of screenwriting

Don't ask a professional script analyst to read your script for free without expecting to be beaten with said script.
                            Beware of "professional" script analysts who say they will read your stuff for free. They just love helping you.

Beware of "professional" script analysts who charge money but they can't give you their qualifications/education/background/industry experience. In fact, even if they are free, if they say they are pros but can't prove it and STILL ask for your material, don't send it.

If you query an agent and are referred to a "professional script reader" or "script doctor" who charges a fee, forget about it. Query the next agent.

Comment

Re: Re: the mythical orthodoxy of screenwriting

I love how some people completely missed the point of this thread.

Comment

Mine

1) Never write in description what you've already written in dialogue -- and vice versa.

2) Never drag script's theme in the mud.

3) Never type "beat" when it ought be "pause".

4) Never use VO unless you've secured the interest of Morgan Freeman.

5) Never be so desperate as to hold the reader's attention with pretentious, rhetorical questions.

6) Never give all your supporting characters the same voice.

7) If your story is set in L.A., never go to great lengths describing the place. Most readers don't live in Duluth.

Comment

Working...
                                X