Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think we have mirror neurons that fire when we see or imagine an event or a character. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't wait to see Opty's massive response to that one.
    None needed.

It's actually true.

Ya see, the precentral gyrus, or primary motor cortex, activates even when someone is imagining....

Comment

Every punch that's thrown, every argument that's made, every drink that's drunk, I've been there. Make me a good protagonist, 'cause I live that life.

Comment

Mirror Nerons

scripter - exactly. I believe this can apply to any artist. Let's not forget, shall we?

We are Artists.

Comment

I read this story on some web site, how Shane Black would practice doing action scenes on his front poarch at all times of the night. Something about how he lived with a few other screen writers and this was the norm.

Guess it was a way work out how their character would fight, probably doing exactly what your talking about. Living through the characters and trying to get a raw idea down on paper.

"I think if you just picture the scene in your head you'll get a good understanding of what images you want to express. Sort of like meditating but focused on a idea."

I think Bruce Lee said that about fighting or moviemaking

Comment

Stay away from your characters. Your characters will become inreasingly passive the more you start to empathize with them. Passive characters are a huge problem in many scripts, including mine.

Comment

wh

funny. thought of answer carefully. don't mean to sound flip, but for me opposite applies. my characters reflect my personality, not the other way around

zilla

Comment

i realize now that i probably phrased it wrong. i'm a dumbass, generaly speaking.

but it turned into a lively enough discussion.

anyway, the inspiration for the thread was my work last week on a particularly nasty character's scenes. he's sarcastic, mean-spirited and brutish... and though i possess these qualities, i found, that for a few days, i was taking on a lot more of that personality than is normally the case.

anyway...

Comment

wh

now, now. don't call yourself a dumbass. that sounds like one of your characters talking

z

Comment

Thank's Noah. You know your science.

My problem is that I can imagine great characters but putting it on paper is a problem. I think this is where years of practice comes in, or perhaps being born with a talented writing gene. I don't really know.

Nature vs Nurture, Perhaps they work together over a lifetime. Who knows? (rhetorical..lol)

It's all interesting, but learning to write better is the most important thing. (for me)
                    I think I just better practice, practice, practice.
                    This could take decades..lol.

best,

PS... Haskins...Don't worry....(just my 1 penny) but your self awareness is a saving grace, and a preciously rare commodity. You sound 100 percent normal as the next guy, but I'm no doc. I'm not even a bar tender....lol..

Also...Many writers talk about how writing a character, good or bad ones, affects them one way or another...but not forever....so...not to worry....Sounds pretty normal to me. (don't let anyone tell you otherwise)..lol...

OK...I've carried on my soap box long enuf!.

Peace..

GF Joe.

:hat

Comment

Haskins. This happens to me all the time. I've even had people close to me comment on how different I'm behaving.

Comment

I don't necessarily "become" my characters, though I tend to *sense* and sometimes even, out of the corner of my eye, imagine I *see* them around me. What seems to affect me most is dialogue. If I'm writing about a couple of hard-assed military intelligence guys, I come off cursing like a sailor in the kitchen... which can be highly innappropriate when you've got young children. It's not that I intend to, it's just that that's how my particular verbage happens to be wired at the moment.

I find other parts of my brain affected too (though some would argue those are always off kilter). For example, once after a long-into-the night writing jag, I went to brush my teeth then thought something looked "odd" in the mirror. Wouldn't you know I was brushing with my left hand, and I'm normally right-handed! Guess I was that much in my "right brain"... I suppose the expression can be literal.

Comment

I get sarcastic mean-spirited and brutish once a month, but I don't think that's your problem.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Comment

Working...
                          X