Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question

So, I've run into a bit of good luck recently. I just got in touch with an old friend and former work colleague who is now a 2nd A.D. for a major, major TV series. This person has also worked on several large film productions. He is going to review my script, and get it into the hands of one of the writers he works with for "feedback." I'm pretty stoked. By complete coincidence, (as I wrote the script long before this came up), one of my characters references the TV series by name in a line of dialog. My instinct is telling me to rip out that line to avoid looking like I dropped it in as a nod - it's not totally vital to have it in, just funny. Then again, a little "wink wink" might service me? My gut says no. What do y'all think?

I'd take it out to avoid looking cute, but that's just me.

Good luck!

-Derek
    My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

Comment

If it worked in the script before you knew who you were sending it to, it works now.

You have to honestly evaluate whether it works in the script.

While you're at it, evaluate everything else in the script under the same microscope.

Comment

Hmmm. That's a tough one. Are you sure it's your gut telling you to rip it out? Or could it just be a groundless concern about screwing up an oportunity?

Because I'm thinking if you had used the reference to the TV show way before this great opportunity, maybe it should stay out of respect for your own work.

Would Mamet take it out, would Tarrantino take it out? Hmmm.

D-pat: Never fear being cute!

Comment

D-pat: Never fear being cute!

You haven't seen me in my gingham dress.

http://www.propstore.co.uk/images/pr...c-0077asml.jpg

-Derek
          My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

Comment

You bring up a good point. If the script didn't contain lots of other cultural references - then it would stick out like a sore thumb. However, one of my characters is a former Roadie from the 70's - so there's pop culture references galore. I'll stew on it for a couple of days.

Comment

mMMMMMMMM
              STEW

Comment

Ego is as ego does.

Don't worry about being cute. If it is funny, it's funny. (spoken like the joke whore that I am)

Think about this writer's ego. His show is so cool it's a cultural reference. Unless of course you have someone slamming the particular show. Then take it out.

Those writers are a fragile and fickle lot...

Comment

Re: Ego is as ego does.

Always go with your gut.

Comment

One reference to his show won't change his mind about whether or not the script is good.

Comment

...it's not totally vital to have it in, just funny

Riiiiiip.

And, if you want to get serviced don't expect a "wink wink" to do the trick. The trick usually wants more than just a wink wink before she'll service you.

:hat Take it from a pimp.

Comment

I'd take it out.

"This is how faceless Joe lost his legs!" -Homer Simpson

Comment

I someone else [that you respected] asked to read the script, someone not related to the reference in your script, would you take it out?

If the answer is "no," then don't take it out.

Comment

Working...
                          X