• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: screenwritin'

William: , sorry man...

Comment

Re: ,

Catrin HAS posted his pages.

They are in the Script Pages forum and are a great exercise in overwritten, masturbatory narrative.

But the dialogue is decent.

They're okay, at best, but not groundbreaking.

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedealfrm32.showMessage?topicID=2232.topic

Comment

Actually, no, I won't be running over there.

Comment

I'm not trying to sell you anything Catrin. If anything it seems to be the other way round although I'm not exactly sure what so I guess that make's me one of the twerps. >D

I hope your screenplay is brilliant, I really do, but I have a suspicion that no matter what your individiul technique is it will end up looking pretty similar in structure to most others because, whether by accident or design, if it is a good story that is how it will unfold naturally.

Oh and the camera question? You answered it yourself of course. They didn't buy it because it didn't look right. Same thing happens with screenplays.

Comment

I just wanted a double entry in the Pearls Before Swine contest.
            There is little point in answering this crap. There are none so lame as those who will not grasp.

I guess it's time to say something to fillgoose or whatever the handle is. (The one that thinks saying "latrine" instead of Catrin is the height of cerebral activity) Before he wets himself. I don't see you citing any proof that you are anything more than another teenaged film school virgin, kiddo. But you keep shrilling out how you want to see my "resume" (the very use of that term in a freelance creative field is kind of funny) so you can see if you beleive me. You kind of make my point about you and your fellows here being too impressed by something that comes in a book written by a grown-up rather than using your own recently-formed heads.
            But just to keep you from having a hemorrage, screaming...where are your script pages?????...I'm going to help you out a little. Just a tiny clue. Where do people around here post their script pages? If that doesn't do it for you, let me know and I'll draw you a map.

Comment

Latrine, I'm not the one coming in here and telling everybody that they have their heads up their asses. Your double talk and babble is alot of BS. The three act structure has been proven effective in lots of movies. Why not prove your groundbreaking structure in a screenplay for us to read. Or point us to one of your films that we could see. You're just as much as a theorist as everyone else. Dood, don't think you're better than everyone else with your con game. The ony thing you regularly grasp is what's between your legs.

BTW, Deus posted a good script he wrote on twoadverbs that was read by everyone there. He can back up his longwinded posts!

Comment

Yeah, what the hell is wrong with Death Wish? That is a great story. Next thing, you'll be doggin' out Jeremiah Johnson.

Comment

No, Dave, actually you DO see LOT'S of "beer can" cameras. But they are all video cameras. People don't seem to mind it for motion recorders, probably because they are reminiscent of movie cameras. They rejected the superior designs like the Olympus because they didn't look like what they thought a camera should look like. Or do you have another reason you can articulate?

I have made my living writing for years. I have won many awards, both artistic and professional for writing ranging from poetry to advertising copy. I have run magazines and big catalog operations, designed websites, written for newspapers in several countries in several languages. I KNOW how to write stuff that sells. Screen is new to me, and I've been absorbing as much as I can of how this industry works. They are all a little bit the same, a little bit different. Film is the not even really that much crazier than some others.

You have me all backwards. All this citing critical structure crap as though it was necessary for actual writing is what you hear around college poetry students and "lit majors". Working in professional writing you never hear any of that @#%$. These guys yammering to show how well they read their books in school are wannabees. I don't need to "see their resumes" to know that.

The idea that you could "ruin" a work by not spending years studying critical theory would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad that people seem to beleive it. Let me ask you what is going to happen.

I've had several people say that "3 acts" is inevitble because of the "end, middle, beginning" precept...and therefore I'm full of crap. Well, what is going to happen? Am I going to write a script that doesn't have a beginning or middle? Not only WHY would I do that, but HOW would I do that?
                  There really just isn't all that much technique involved in writing. There is nothing learning how to make controlled movements with brush or chisel, with training the body to flexibility or endurance or being able to jump around on your toes. There is nothing like the study required to play a saxophone. MOST of the greatest writers ever had no formal instruction. As I have pointed out before, this critical structure was created not to instruct them, but to understand them.

You can't teach anybody to know how to write. Sorry, it just can't be done. Anymore than you can teach somebody to carry a tune or sketch a striking likeness. All you can do in those cases is teach technique...and writing, serious, no @#%$, doesn't have hardly any of that teckneek stuff. It's almost entirely voice and style. (And you can't teach anybody to have a nice voice, either, by the way).

There's nothing wrong with the essay. (Except that it was dashed off with no revision and has some spelling and typo booboos). And I know what an essay is and when they are OK. In fact, I will probably work that one up and sell it.

I am not propounding the anarchy everybody here is railing against...the "if you don't accept our particular theory you are a nihilist barbarian" stuff....my career has been a case of gearing down my wildness into stuff that sells...trying to acheive normality, in a way. I can write a screenplay right now that could be filmed tomorrow. I am feeling my way into the business on this and several other websites. (Guess which one is the lamest I have run into yet?)

So, bottom line, I don't give a damn what sort of jumbo you beleive in. But don't try to sell me on it. I've spent too much time and effort (god knows why) on this. It's there if you can use it. Or not.

Comment

Good for you, but you prevented knucklehead from doing the work.
                    These are first drafts of an idea I am just starting to develop, placed on this site for some feedback (I no longer consider that a very good idea, oddly enough)

I would think it would pretty obvious that they are in no way an attempt to "break ground"...they are an attempt to write a middle of the road script that can get made for not too much money.

The "masturbatory" is, of course, your option to throw in. It was a big word back when I was a sophomore, too. Obviously, I expect everybody here to race over and tell me how awful those scenes are. I just wanted whathis ass to stop jumping up and down and holding his weewee.

Comment

Thanks for small favors, man.

By the way, if anybody WILL, the sequence is:

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedea...2232.topic

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedea...2233.topic

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedea...2216.topic

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedea...2225.topic

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedea...2226.topic

Not continuous, and some characters will have name changes, etc. like I say, first drafts.

Comment

Re: .

dude, you're playing right into their hands.

Comment

they are an attempt to write a middle of the road script
                          Well, I don't think you're quite there yet and the pages need more work before they could be called middle of the road.

Comment

haskins' 119th law of nature:

middle of the road + abrasive overconfidence = roadkill

i've seen this play out with armadillos for years. all that spiky armor is no match for a chevy, regardless of how cool it looks reflected in a muddy, gutter-puddle

Comment

:lol

Comment

OK, let's try this again and see if it gets less idiotic.
                                To answer the implied question, Catrin: I reread your post, and no, it didn't get any less idiotic.

Maybe the third time will be the charm.

Comment

Working...
                                X