Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just watched Death Wish the other day and it just didn't hold up as well as i thought it would.

I think you can get away with one big coincidence per script, or a couple of small contrivances, and yet this guy (Bronson) gets mugged within three minutes every time he leaves his house, while the NYC crime rate is plummeting, no less.

And I used up all my suspention of disbelief at the beginning trying to accept Jeff Goldblum as a heavy.

Having said that, I don't really understand Catrins point with this thread. I mean, I understand what he's saying, but so what? You're trying to enlighten us, or just convince us that we're all idiots? Go write anyway you want, and enjoy the process, but don't start name-calling just because no one wants to read your stuff.

Comment

Um, he gets mugged all the time, because he's out in the shittiest parts of 1970's New York, alone, at like 3am.

HE'S the hunter, luring in the prey. Why is that so hard to believe?

It's no stretch, at all, sorry.

Comment

No...my guess, whiskey boy, is that the more you read it it will stay idiotic. As with anything else you read. You may someday figure out why that is.

cynicide, I have no idea what questions you are asking about. The fact that so many here are weirding out over my outrageous proposals (such as that if you can't decide who the protagonist of a movie is, maybe it's not really that important a concept to base your scripts on) is because you are basically students, not writers. I think I mentioned that. Sorry, but to me "student" and "twit" are fairly synonymous, especially when kids start peeking around outside school and sounding off about it.

Comment

Re: .

El Catrin, I don't know much about dramatic theory (its no secret that I despise the cult of Robert Mckee) but I do know that the greatest assets I have as a writer are my objectivity, empathy and a great sense of humor.

Judging by your posts, you don't have any of those things, so, good luck. You'll need it.

Comment

Haha....the upper west side might not have always been as fashionable as it is now, but it was never shitty.

Most of the killings occurred between 8pm and midnight (so Bronson could go home and catch himself on the late news)

And he doesn't get mugged by one guy at a time, but rather gangs of thugs wandering freely during a police dragnet.

But, okay.

Great cinematography and score, though.

Comment

Give us your URL

Catrin:

Don't you have your own domain somewhere? If not, doesn't your ISP give you some free space? No need to post on this forum in pieces; post it all in one place.

Comment

Re: Give us your URL

Hey Catrin, why didn't you answer my questions? You can call me a dumbass all you want, but at least have the decency to respond when I didn't call you any names.

Also, if you're right and theory doesn't help people write, why do so many people here disagree with you?

Comment

Kitner: so, the subway stations on the westside were empty at midnight? In the city "That Never Sleeps"? Plus, he was riding with his groceries way on the other side of town.

ah, who cares? It's a great film, regardless.

Comment

I didnt say it was a bad film, just nearly undone by contrivances.

One of the killings occurs on a crowded subway train (with uniformed cops on it) as it pulls into a crowded subway station, except, the car Bronson's on is conveniently empty.

btw, I would never hijack a writing thread with film talk, but this one could only be improved by it.

Comment

Re: .

kitner, we may not agree on Death Wish, but I 100% agree with your last post.

Comment

For the third time, Catrin (it's not hard to find these questions, since they've been posted in both of these threads now)

Catrin:

Again, how many screenwriting books have you read?

Again, in a screenplay, where does the beginning end, and where does the end begin?

Again, if we're not supposed to talk in theory, how are we supposed to talk about what we write?

This time, try answering. I don't mind the name calling, but at least back it up with actual answers to my questions. Otherwise it will be clear that you don't have any answers. It's already clear that you don't understand three act structure.

Oh, by the way, I'm a student because I have not yet mastered the form. Congrats on having nothing left to learn in such a short period of time. You should be a successful screenwriter in a matter of weeks. What with your winning attitude and undeniable talent, you'll take this town by storm.

Comment

my guess, whiskey boy, is that the more you read it it will stay idiotic
                          Putting aside the horrifying grammar and syntax, I certainly agree with that.

Comment

In summary:

There are no rules.

There is no spoon.

And this thread... has no future.

Comment

Working...
                            X