Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my script too short?

I've written a horror film which is clocking in at 80 pages.

The first third of the film is where most of the dialogue is, after that it goes pretty quiet and is mainly action, kind of like 'The Descent'.

I know action can take longer than dialogue in terms of page count versus minutes on screen. But I'm still not sure if it would come in at an 80 minute film or not.

Re: Is my script too short?

One of the issues here is that it doesn't matter if your script is the exception and is a 95 minute film, if it's an 80 page script everyone is going to assume it's too short.

I do think that scripts seems to be getting shorter and shorter these days, but 80 really still seems too short to me.

Comment

99.9% of the time, a page count of 80 would indicate it's too short.

The level of description with no dialogue also raises concerns. That was okay for "The Descent" because Neil Marshall had already proven himself and had easy access to investors.

Show your script to a peer or two and gauge their reaction, but it sounds like you already know it's too short. While screenplays do seem to be getting shorter these days, I would strive to hit at least 90 pages.
      NOTES / COVERAGE
      15,000+ Screenplays
      [email protected]

Comment

I asked my girlfriend if it was too short, and she said nothing... she's an inflatable.

Here are some potential reasons for short scripts:

1) Most common - no act 2. The script has a set up and a resolution but has no *struggle*. Act 1 introduces the conflict. Act 2 is conflict and escalation of conflict. Act 3 is resolution of conflict. Act 2 is protagonist struggling with that conflict - fight after fight without a resolution. Think of it as the battles in the war of your script.

2) No protag emotional conflict. Call it character arc or whatever - I like emotional conflict because that includes things that don't exactly arc - your protagonist needs to be wrestling with a major emotional problem... and there need to be scenes that deal with this. Cardboard cut outs don't need any pages dealing with emotional conflict because they are made of cardboard.

3) Story is too simple. Which is often #1 and #2 combined, but it might be other things, too. If the story doesn't twist and change and grow it might end up short. Look at DESCENT. It is the story of a woman who has lost her child and husband having to get back on her feet and have a life again. Then it is a story of getting stuck in a cave. Then it is the story of being stuck in a cave with the bitch who was having an affair with her husband. Then it is the story of being stuck in a cave with an injured woman who needs medical attention *now*. Then it is the story of being stuck in a cave with (spoilers) monsters who want to eat you. Then it is a story of... See how the story keeps *evolving*? Often the problem with short scripts is they don't evolve at all - they are dead on the page.

Probably others, but I also think you should get the page count up so that it doesn't seem light... and maybe even watch DESCENT again and take some notes.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

80 pages can work, depending on the type of story.

However, more often than not, something is missing. I suggest having a few trusted friends read it over and give you some feedback.

Comment

Even if it's the best 80-page script ever written, you'll sacrifice an overwhelming majority of your reads if you don't find a way to extend it 10 pages.

Comment

Are you aggressively targeting prodcos that specialize in low budget horror?

Take this with the knowledge that I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, but it seems possible like there could be a market out there, particularly for low budget horror, that might look favorably upon an 80 page script.

Comment

I'd missed out loads of script neccesities like parethicals and Cut To:'s etc. by the time I was done with a proper format it was kncoked up to 87 pages.

Comment

I'm no pro, but I'm in the same boat as you. I'm at 70 pages. Originally, I tried to beef up the dialogue and add parentheticals...BTW too many parentheticals will lead you down another road.

I realized that the story needs another scene or two. As simple as it sounds though, I have not figured where to go with it.

I suggest rereading it or having someone here look at it and find out what part of the story could use an extra scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Existence View Post
                    I'd missed out loads of script neccesities like parethicals and Cut To:'s etc. by the time I was done with a proper format it was kncoked up to 87 pages.
                    Eh.

Here's the problem.

Was your script 80 pages before because it was the probably mythical .01% of scripts that length that isn't too short?

Or was it too short because it was missing something, because you didn't have enough story content?

I'm going to operate under the assumption that its the latter. Now, there's a .01% chance I'm wrong. I accept that. You should ask yourself if you think you've written something that exceptional.

So assuming that your story is too short, you've just made the script much worse.

You've added SEVEN PAGES worth of stuff that doesn't need to be there. Unneccesary parentheticals and cut tos.

Sounds like you've probably just made the script a lot worse.

If I were you, I would go back to the outline, and look for ways to add complications and conflict.

Comment

The first third of the film is where most of the dialogue is, after that it goes pretty quiet and is mainly action, kind of like 'The Descent'.

I know action can take longer than dialogue in terms of page count versus minutes on screen. But I'm still not sure if it would come in at an 80 minute film or not.

That's not bad for a horror spec really. Horror films, unless you want to have a three-dimensional arc and characters, are around 80-90 minutes.
                      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Thanks for the education!
                        Hello. Aren't I cute? Write me a poem. About love.

Comment

You don't want parentheticals or Cut To's. I'm not sure what you're working with as a model script, but for a spec script you want to rip those bad boys back out.

Are you asking about scene numbers in the other thread because you're trying to add them to this script? You don't need scene numbers at this stage, those are only useful when the script goes into production.

There's really know way to tell if your script is too short without reading it. At best we can make an educated guess that you need more conflict, more twists and turns.

I think the best thing for you to do is to get some people who are into horror to read your script. Horror fans are serious fans and they read every script that goes around town. They can tell you if yours holds up with the best or if it's too short.

Comment

I am also in writing a horror and it is already looking like is going to be shorter than what is supposed to be. Still, I have to ask you are you trying to be short and to the point, like Alien?

After every single podcast and book strongly advised to be bare, well, I am trying to be bare. Still, after reading several scripts, cannot help but notice that many include juicy details, and poetic language. I don't want to hide lack of plot with bells and whistles but neither have a boring mechanical script that is several pages shorter than what is going to be on the film because I am letting other people do their job and interpret the script.

I wonder if we have the same problem and if there might be solution that might work for the two of us.

Comment

No expert on sales here, but I think 80 pages will cause people to regard your screenplay with a lot of initial skepticism that can be overcome with a truly great read - but you're also giving yourself an extra hurdle when you've got plenty to leap already.

Padding it out is totally the wrong thing to do. Unnecessary parentheticals, camera angles, cuts, and so forth will only reinforce the initial skeptical thought that you don't know what you're doing. Not what you want.

Is there someone who can read your draft? Can you afford coverage? There are some fairly inexpensive consultants out there. Perhaps someone with an outside perspective can identify a subplot or character arc or plot hole that needs some shoring up.

Get your extra pages from adding to the story, not by subtracting from it with a lot of extraneous padding. I'd shoot for at least 90 pages, myself.
                              Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Working...
                              X