Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dramedy

I'm kind of a "drama" girl and now I want to take on a "dramedy." Can anyone think of any dramedies that came out in the last year?

They weren't from last year, but movies like As Good As It Gets, Shakespeare in Love, Bull Durham and Tin Cup come to mind.

Comment

dramedy

Thanks Deus!!!

Comment

From last year... Sideways is probably the most prominent. I'd call Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind a dramedy too, I guess. Finding Neverland as well.

Comment

dramedy

Thanks much Keen

Comment

I don't think I'd call Finding Neverland a dramedy. It was a drama that gave out some laughs, but they were all "cutesy" laughs.

Garden State
            Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
            Sideways
            In Good Company

Comment

Actually, you should be able to answer that question yourself.

What movies did you see? Make a list.

Make a list of all of the movies you saw in the cinema...
              Make a list of all of the movies you couldn't wait to see...

Then trace those films back to their sources: how did they get to the screen? That will show you the path your story will need to take to get to the screen.

- Bill

Comment

The danger about writing a "dramedy" is that, oftentimes, it means that the writer has created a script that's neither particularly funny nor dramatic.

It can't be a halfway comedy and a halfway drama. It has to be high-quality comedy half the time and high-quality drama the other half.

Not to say that it needs to be exactly half and half, but you know what I mean.

Comment

I find that if it's not a schizoid production, that if 2 sides are integrated, one informing the other, in an organic whole, then you've got a pwerful piece of work on yr hands.
                  I thought Catch22 ( the book & movie) resonated for me because of the masterful way comedy & tragedy were played off each other.

Comment

"Pieces Of April" is my fave dramedy of late, for the reasons that Frankclone stated. A really good dramedy will usually take my breath away, leave me thinking about it for days, and make me wish I wrote it. This film did all 3.

BTW, wouldn't "Pulp Fiction", while defying conventional genre-fication fall into the dramedy subset? Anyone?

Comment

Working...
                    X