Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90% of what I write is crap? Is it?

That's what Robert Mckee reckons, according to his book. He's been right about everything else, so this must be also true. I've spent six weeks outlining my script with dot points on paper and then with index cards, and I've come to the horrifying realization I've only thrown out about 60% of my ideas. I've kept the rest! And cannot think of better scenes or turning points. I am happy with my outline, but I'm worried. What does everybody else think? Do you throw out 90% of you ideas or is Mckee playing it on the safe side?

is this post part of the 90%?

Comment

I think you don't know until it's done.... then it may be crap, or it may not. Not everything I write turns out. I'm getting ready to try to resolve a bunch of problems with a script I wrote a couple of years ago - it made complete sense in my mind, made complete sense in outline, the characters made sense... but when it all got put together on the page, something was wrong. I think I know what that is, now - so I'm going to try to repair the script. If I do a whole lotta work and it still sucks, I'll shelve it and wait a few years until I figure out some other thing to try.

Not everything turns out.

- Bill

Comment

Since 90% of what's out there is crap, I'd have to assume there's alot of people across the field from greatness. And that's why he can make that general statement.

Comment

I would suggest just finishing it, then decide. I wish I could be at the point you're at after six weeks. I've been mulling my current script over in my head for almost a year now, been working on characters for two months now, and am just starting to outline, and sketch out the story. Only now am I starting to hesitate and question what it is I am writing. For example, I wanted my character to be a staff writer on a television sitcom. That was the perfect job for her, and even though she gets fired within the first ten pages, I chickened out and decided that no one wants to read about someone who writes for a TV sitcom, even if it's in one scene and is over before the first turning point. I haven't been able to think of anything better, but I'm working on sketching out the script still and finishing. So basically....just finish it.

Comment

Probable he's just trying to make the point to not worry about rewrites, and changing things to get it right.

The 90 percent thing is just a number. Don't take it literally as 90 percent exactly as opposed to 89 percent...LOL

Just a thought...a 1 cent thought...lol

Best to all,

GF JOE.

Comment

Relax, so 90 percent of the 40 percent you kept is crap, no big deal. You could still be onto a winner with the remaining 10 percent.

-Derek
              -----------------------
              My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

Comment

Writing is rewriting. There is nothing wrong.

Comment

If you use Authorized's patented mathemagical formulas, your 90% crap is only on 15% of the pages, which when spread out across 120 pages, is downright negligible

Comment

I don't think the number means anything. He was just making a point.

When I first started writing, I would finish a script in 3 to 7 days. Now I agonize over every line. I think my percentage has changed somewhat.

Comment

dunksta

i'll put it in terms i'm very familiar with: i keep maybe 1-10% of what i write in its original form. that is, i rewrite or cut or change (to some extent) 90-99 percent of what i write. i'd have to say writing is rewriting. i'm not sure that's what mckee meant but...

zilla

Comment

I keep about 2/3 of everything I write, but I outline extensively, choose words carefully, and am blind to my own faults.

Comment

I discard 90% of what I write before I ever write it.

Comment

No, Dunksta. Only 10% of what you write is crap. The rest is silver and gold!

McKee spends too much time in the bathroom to know better. :eek

Comment

I have about 1 or 2 good writing days a month. 90% of my scripts are written on those days. The other 10% is the best of the crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X